So how can I avoid paying the market upcharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: So how can I avoid paying the market upcharge

I also went through the Costo program to buy my car. He initially said the discount was $500 under MSRP but then he said the MSRP went up $200 so I was only saving $300. I don't see how the MSRP going up only became a factor once I asked for the Costco price, but I am still getting it under MSRP, and if when I finally get my car, the sticker price doesn't match what they said it would then I suppose I can complain. But when a car is hot, you have to be willing to pay full MSRP.

When I went to buy my car, he quoted me $28.8K for a fully loaded V6 XLE with Nav and leather. I wound up agreeing to pay $31.1K for the fully loaded Hybrid with Nav and leather. The total hybrid premium came to a little over $2,000.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Just wondering...are they delivering cars at those prices?
It's one thing to quote a price and take a deposit.
It's another to actually get the car.
I'm an old fashioned supply and demand capitalist and I feel that car dealers will still end up delivering the car (quicker) to their customers who will pay a higher price.
I could be wrong, usually am, but I think it costs a dealer nothing to respond to a lead and say "sure, $27M....fully loaded!"....but that's not a completed sale.
I can't speak to other states, but in California a verbal contract is binding, much less an email with a stated price. To offer a price and then change it would be "bait and switch" which triggers all kinds of oversight agencies.

Interestingly, as I was buying my TCH, my girlfriend was taking advantage of BMW's willingness to lose money on 5 series leases to clear out the 07s for the 08s. They didn't ask for a deposit, just ran a credit check and put her name next to the production number on his inventory list. She was convinced she would lose the car and kept demanding paperwork. The salesman laughingly hand wrote out a note promising her that she would get her car. And it showed up on time at the promised lease cost....

Regards.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WMConey
I can't speak to other states, but in California a verbal contract is binding, much less an email with a stated price. To offer a price and then change it would be "bait and switch" which triggers all kinds of oversight agencies....
Sure, I'm aware of that, but I was referring to dealers who take the deposit and then make you wait and wait (while other purchasers get their car...at a higher price). I'm guessing, but I imagine that some people on the terminal waiting list might offer the dealer a higher price to get the car sooner (or at least that's what my conspiracy theory mind conjures up).

Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

It seems to me that the best way is to shop around. Being an 'informed consumer' will let you be less likely to get taken in by the salescritters.

I read an article on Edmunds.com about one of their reporters who went underground and actually got jobs as a salesman at dealerships, to learn about the tactics they use to get the most out of the victim. (I'm sorry, I lost the URL)

I've heard that working with the Fleet Department of dealerships can be a lot less stressful, as they don't get into the haggling mind games .

If you get a lot of hassle from a dealership, just remember: You can always just get up, walk out, and go to another. Remember THEY are trying to get YOUR money, and you are really in the "drivers' seat" in the transaction. They are trying to make you think that they hold the cards, and are doing you a favor by selling to you. They will try to confuse you and wear you down, so that they can take advantage of you. I don't mean _every_ dealer or salescritter is like that, but may are, just beware.

As a last resort, you can ask yourself if it is worth it to go to a dealer further away to save some money. That can mean taking a bus, train, or whatever to save a couple of Thousand, if need be.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Out of town purchases aren't a problem.
I bought my car from a dealer 200 miles away.
They sent a courier to my office to sign the paperwork and was prepared to have someone deliver the car, but I ended up being in the area so I picked it up myself.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

It is really helpful to use a site like Edmunds to see the Dealer cost and go up from that. I totally ignore the sticker price. I have never bought a car using that as my gauge.

Find out the Dealer cost. Dealer cost for all parts/packages, etc.

Then, even if it is difficult to find the precise configuration in available cars.....you can see the total from the Dealer's cost perspective.

I have used Autobytel, Costco, USAA buying services. The great thing is you can

put in a request with all these services, get quotes and still call and ask for the internet manager and still call more rural dealers to see what their internet manager will offer.

For my TCH, the local internet dealers were pompous guys who insisted I would not get a better offer than theirs. Ha! What a crock.

I found my best deal with the farther off (Fairfield Toyota) internet dealer (CA).

They even found the color, configuration I wanted and the only concession I made was a different color leather package. Grey instead of Buff.

They traded cars with a dealer two hours away to get mine.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

It sounds like you were able to get a good deal by contacting far flung rural dealerships. However, I am guessing that you purchased your car at least a year ago before gas prices spiked stoking interest in hybrid cars.

I still think that this is a good strategy to use, however, I have not heard about anyone getting a good deal on a camry hybrid within the past few months. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jg013c
It sounds like you were able to get a good deal by contacting far flung rural dealerships. However, I am guessing that you purchased your car at least a year ago before gas prices spiked stoking interest in hybrid cars.

I still think that this is a good strategy to use, however, I have not heard about anyone getting a good deal on a camry hybrid within the past few months. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Actually I was able to get my TCH at about invoice and I have had mine for only 3 weeks. 'About' invoice because I calculated my purchase price to be about $200 above invoice, however, when I was at the dealer he showed me his sheet and it showed it about $200 below invoice. I am not sure why his invoice price was several hundred above my invoice price.

I was very fortunate to get a dealer that treated me quite well. I was debating between the TCH and the Prius for a couple of months and when I finally decided at the end of May on the TCH the prices had gone up to, and in some cases above, MSRP. When I placed my 'order' he stated that he would honor the quote he had given me 6 weeks earlier. I was very skeptical during my 8 week wait that he would truly honor that price even though he also sent me an email with the price breakdown. But sure enough when I went to pick it up the price was what he said and other than not having the car prepped when I arrived the process was very painless.

I realize that is not much help as the dealer is now selling them at MSRP but I thought I would share a positive experience.

BTW I am soooo glad I bought the TCH over the Prius as I was very much enamored with the Prius' high MPG but I liked everything else about the TCH. I have also averaged about 43.8 MPG on my first two tanks.

Shawn

Old 08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

So that price was originally quoted to you 14 weeks ago (almost 4 months ago) and you were lucky to have had the dealer honor his original offer after 8 weeks. I am sure most other dealers would not have.

I am glad it worked out for you but as you say, they are now selling them for full MSRP.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

I used carsdirect.com service.

They found a car with the options I wanted, quoted a price. (They originally
added gap insurance, which I asked them to take off, no problem)

I agreed to the price, and picked up the car at a dealer that was within 1 hour of my home.

They did what they said and said what they did. Nothing hidden, no muss no fuss.

The experience, was good and I'd recommend it.

At the very least, you know what you can purchase the car for.

Quick Reply: So how can I avoid paying the market upcharge

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands