Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   So pissed - hit and run SUV driver rear ended me tonight (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/so-pissed-hit-run-suv-driver-rear-ended-me-tonight-16506/)

KimikoPi 12-27-2007 07:43 PM

So pissed - hit and run SUV driver rear ended me tonight

I LOVE my car. I know most of you LOVE your cars. So you can imagine my anger when at a stop sign, some retard SUV driver crashes into my car and knocks it to the other side of the intersection. I get out of my car to exchange info. The SUV is still on the other side of the intersection at the stop sign, but it TURNS RIGHT and drives away. I try to run after it in my stupid heels, but it gets too far away and I can't even see the license plate.
This is my first car accident. Why would it drive away? I obviously wasn't injured if I got out of my car looking all pissed. Don't giant SUV drivers usually have insurance if they can afford those cars in the first place?
I wondered if it could have been done on purpose...but I have no idea why.

I really hope my insurance company covers genuine Toyota parts on this. I have Progressive and there's like 7,000 miles on it.

Tideland Prius 12-27-2007 11:35 PM

Re: So pissed - hit and run SUV driver rear ended me tonight

oye... yeah I know what you mean. I woke up one day to find my dad's Camry's rear right door bashed in. Turns out a drunken party overnight meant some kids decided to do a 3-point turn right where our Camry was parked. We got the kid though thanks to a watchful neighbour.

Hope you get some witnesses that saw it come knocking on your door or ringing your phone.

Squint 12-28-2007 01:13 AM

A few years ago, I was rear ended driving my old Camry. I pulled off to the side of the road and then saw a car go racing down the road. I assumed it was the culprit and took off after him. He had a good lead but was soon caught up in traffic. I called 911 after I caught up to the perp. He realized the gig was up and stopped the car. He tried to strike a deal but all he got was the middle finger. When the police arrived, the tried to deny it but his license plate number was imprinted on the dirt of my rear bumper. I called a friend who took a picture of the guy being led away in handcuffs.

There are a lot of hit and runs so I would not give them the opportunity to run.

If this was a residential area, chances are the person lives nearby. People take the same routes at around the same time.

haroldo 12-28-2007 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by KimikoPi (Post 155612)
.... Don't giant SUV drivers usually have insurance if they can afford those cars in the first place? ....

I'm sorry, but you can't pin the blame on the fact that the driver was in an SUV. Inconsiderate individuals drive all types of vehicles and some don't even own a car.
Again, I'm sorry, but remember, it's only a car. No one was hurt, you can easily replace/repair a car, that's what insurance is for.

ag4ever 12-28-2007 05:53 AM

And you can't just assume because they have a big vehicle they can afford it or the insurance or the gas.

Their reasoning might have been like this:

1. I am broke because I am paying way too much for gas.

2. Either eat or pay the insurance bill, choose eat.

3. So stressed that i don't pay attention and hit other car.

4. Worried I will loose everything if I stop, their car is on the other side of the road and they can't get back in it in time.

5. I bet I can get away and they won't know who I am.

This is all hypothetical, but there could be many reason why a person would make a bad decision. Throw on top of that, are you sure the other driver was a legal US citizen or resident and had a valid driver's lisence, and was not worried about being deported?

abward 12-28-2007 06:46 AM

+1 for camping out at that intersection a few days +/- 10 minutes of when it happened, to see if they go that way everyday. However, if you see them, do not confront, just get their license number and tell police.

To D Lake 12-28-2007 07:13 AM

:omg: First off, I'm glad you weren't hurt! Having experienced a permanently disabling accident when I was hit head-on by an uninsured driver, I know the emotions you are going through quite well. Your insurance should take care of you with no problems as long as you have the proper coverage. You may need to stand firm that they use OEM parts, but since you are their customer (and you may have to remind them of that repeatedly), just be firm. Find a good quality, well-recommended body shop to do the work and you'll never know your baby was in an accident. And remember, it could have been much worse, after all, it is only a car...

Robb:)

CJO2007CamryHyb 12-28-2007 08:49 AM

I'm sorry that that happened to you. Whether they were driving an SUV or any other type of car, that was wrong. It doesn't matter what the reason is for driving off. Once they did that.........it now becomes a FELONY offence and they could be spending time behind bars if they are caught. Driving off from any accident is a FELONY, even if it is minor. Most people are just ignorant of the law or just plain old stupid. In this case.........it's seems the latter fits!!! I was in several major accidents and i'm glad that i was not seriously hurt. IN your case i'm sure you are thankful that no one was hurt. Hopefully someone will come forward with information in the driver.:lightbulb

bar10dah 12-28-2007 10:25 AM

Around here, we have a lot of hit and runs due to illegals. Unfortunately, quite a few of these hit and runs actually injure people. It's sad.

LEAKYTCH 12-28-2007 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Will you get jammed having to pay your collision deductible?:(