TC(H) Owners Please UNITE

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TC(H) Owners Please UNITE

Originally Posted by torresinc
I checked with 5 dealers in North Carolina and all came with the same explanation.
I don't know where in NC you live, but I live in Virginia, not far from the NC border. Perhaps ours come from a different port as none of the TCHs here had those items. You may want to consider a road trip.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM
WVGasGuy

Another issue: is it legal for Toyota to push Carpet Mats and Trunk Mats ($199.00), Splashguards ($179.00) and Toyoguard Plus Protection Group ($699.00 and $619.00 for the Camry XLS), using the argument the car is already configured that way and nothing can be done to remove those items?

I'm guessing in the free enterprise system of capitalism it's legal to sell something as long as it's not a monopoly and the customer always has the right to walk away and choose another product. It doesn't matter if the "configuration" came from the factory or the dealer, to you the customer he's just stating they are configured that way for sale. The SE Region I understand does that and I can't see anything illegal with it.

However I just don't understand why Toyota does not do something about it. I'm guessing they would or the dealers would revolt if the people in the SE would simply quit buying Toyotas and told Toyota the reason they are walking away. Unfortunately, at least with the hybrid, if you don't buy it someone else will. People don't generally "revolt" unless they are significantly harmed and paying a couple of grand extra for something you really want doesn't seem to hurt as bad as we want to gripe about.

I assume SE region does this on American built cars as well. It will interesting to see what happens to the "port installed" options when they are built in Kentucky.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pse
Interestingly. I just called Toyota Customer service at the number "Steve" suggested and the rep there told me that the 6.1 version is not even out yet. It should not come out until October.
The rep might have been referring to the date when the 6.1 DVD will be available for purchase, not the date when it will be installed in new vehicles. Although a poster in another thread was apparently told the 6.1 DVD will not be available through Toyota parts until 2/07. So who knows what the real story is...

Old 09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
pse
Enthusiast

My car was Japaneese built and still has the 5.1 version.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pse
My car was Japaneese built and still has the 5.1 version.
I'm pretty sure that the Kentucky plant is not yet building hybrid Camrys. So they all come from Japan

Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
pse
Enthusiast

That was my understanding as well that all TCH's are being built in Japan. I was only stating that mine was Japanesse built in comment to the argument that maybe US built Camry's contain version 5.1 of the nav software.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 PM
WVGasGuy

I'm guessing they just have not started shipping the 6.1 version to the factories in the states.

When I stated this I meant for Toyota NAV systems in cars other than the TCH which is obviously built in Japan