Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   TCH Exhaust flange replacement (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/tch-exhaust-flange-replacement-30031/)

ntguru 10-27-2014 08:14 AM

TCH Exhaust flange replacement

Hi all, while driving my 07 TCH recently, I went over a moderate bump and suddenly it sounded liked I was driving a sports car with straight thru exhaust. It was painfully loud. I was just around the corner from the Toyota service shop so I took it there and they report the exhaust flange has broken loose just after the catalytic converter due to rust. Their repair option is $1,700 for a whole new pipe. I also called a Goodyear Muffler shop and they indicated they would need to take a look at it and see if one of several universal exhaust flange replacements would fit/work.

Some questions:

1) Is $1,700 reasonable if that's how I have to/decide to go and;
2) Is there a universal flange for the 2007 TCH? What would a fair total repair cost in this scenario be?
3) The car is an '07 with under 90K miles...would any of this be covered under warranty?

TIA!

GeorgiaHybrid 10-27-2014 08:44 AM

Re: TCH Exhaust flange replacement

You can get a California legal catalytic converter (what you need) with a gasket made by Walker from Rock Auto for less than $400. I doubt that it will cost more than $100 to get it installed (more like $50...).

It will not be covered by warranty and yes, you can get cheaper converters if you do not live in a CARB state.

ntguru 10-27-2014 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 254518)
You can get a California legal catalytic converter (what you need) with a gasket made by Walker from Rock Auto for less than $400. I doubt that it will cost more than $100 to get it installed (more like $50...).

It will not be covered by warranty and yes, you can get cheaper converters if you do not live in a CARB state.

Thanks so much, GeorgiaHybrid!

ntguru 10-31-2014 03:12 PM

Just wanted to come back with final info in case it helps somebody in the future.

Got the TCH fixed and it cost $720 all in. They replaced the cat and the midpipe. In retrospect, the car had been noisier than normal prior to the bump and the huge increase in noise, but it came on so gradually I didn't realize it until after the repair was done. I might have found it cheaper elsewhere, but the shop was close to my home and it would have cost me more to have the car out of commission longer.

Thanks again.

litespeed 10-31-2014 06:01 PM

Good enough... Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for posting your outcome...

GeorgiaHybrid 10-31-2014 09:44 PM

At least you saved $1,000 and learned to always question a dealers quote...:)

Thanks for posting back.

Pete4 01-19-2015 07:14 PM

I know this post is old but just for reference, I had similar thing, just took it to the shop and guy welded it for $60 and it works like new.
Pipping wasn't that rusted, seems in my case there was a stress point that gave in, so repair was possible, but I wonder why OP couldn't fix it similar way, unless CC was all rusted out.

GeorgiaHybrid 01-21-2015 08:07 PM

The OP said it had broken loose due to rust.......You can't weld rust.