TCH and speeding ticket - help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH and speeding ticket - help please

Originally Posted by steinbock
Took me about 30 hours to get everything ready.

I won because the cop did not show up.
Awwww.....

Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

Good luck - too bad you didn't have your consumption bar graph up to take a picture of the previous 30 minutes of mileage to show your high MPG "trend" - of course, with the clock in the background...

Its times like these that you wish the consumption appliet stored a log you could later access, but black box stuff like that scares some people...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

So essentially, you were sentenced to 30+ hours and your case was dismissed...

Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Sentencing applies only to guilty people. I was not.
Imagine if the cop did that kind of prep and I did not show up...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, but who knows what the outcome would have been had he been there? My experience has been that once the ticket is written it's really tough to get it tossed out.

Congrats - one to put behind you!

Scott

Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got a speeding ticket a couple of years ago, in Colorado Springs. When I went to court, the judge announced that if we pled guilty, we would be charged for some non-speeding misdemeanor, like a broken taillight and fined a few hundred. No points on our licenses. Pleading guilty would result in very hefty fines and 4 points on our license.

The beauty of this system is that no one's gonna complain because if they did, insurance companies would know they sped and could increase premiums, and if caught speeding again, they'd get a pretty hefty fine and points.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if cops watched that whistle blower like a hawk and issued enough speeding tickets to get license suspended. Cops do abuse their power and it's hard to prove.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steinbock
I prepared a Power Point presentation showing a formula and explaining that what the cop said was (IS) physically impossible. I prepared road condition report, acceleration graph under different loads. I prepared a spreadsheet, calculating instantly my maximum possible speed based on the distance traveled. I prepared vehicle data sheets from Toyota. I prepared about 60 questions for the cop. HE would have to admit that the gun was mis-calibrated. I had pictures taken at a repair shop that fixes police cars, showing a radar gun pointed at a wall, showing the wall’s speed at 30 km/h…..

Took me about 30 hours to get everything ready.

I won because the cop did not show up.
Wow thats impresive.
Can you share your presentation and pictures with rest of us, so in case somebody else need it in fuyure, or if you can PM me.
Thanks

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

You can't win if you don't fight. Talk to your local county clerks office and find out how to issue a discovery subpoena. Make sure that you indicate that any items on the discovery subpoena are necessary prior to the trial date. The items you might normally need for a radar speeding ticket are the following; repair records, manufacturers manual and specifications, a log of the calibrations, and a copy of the departments FCC license to operate a radar unit, a copy of the repair calibration, and accuracy of the tuning fork. The arrest record of the police officer for three months prior to the date of your offense. His log for the day of your citation. Both copies of your original citation. A speedometer calibration certificate, all the maintenance and the repair records and the service records for the patrol car that was used in stopping you for your violation. Be aware that the prosecution can stop this request with a motion to protect. Don't let that bother you because if this occurs just appear at your trial and make a motion to dismiss the charges. It might work, it might not. If it doesn't work, ask what the prosecution is trying to hide by denying you the information that you need to build your case. Immediately after that, file for a motion for continuance to give you enough time to get your defense ready after the materials are delivered. If the Judge still denies you access to the information that you want, you have an excellent basis for a not guilty plea during the appeals process, and reversal of a guilty verdict.

Good Luck