TCH used car or trade in value?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: TCH used car or trade in value?

Nash,

The 2004+ Prius also has the 'Liftime' ATF (Type WS). Changing the ATF fluid only costs about $80. It is cheap insurance every 60,000 miles.

When I had mine changed the service rep tried to upgrade me to a 'flush' at $150 stating that it is needed to make certain that the ATF in the torque converter is also replaced. When I reminded him that the Prius has no torque converter he got very flustered. Don't believe everything your dealer says. They are not always fully up to speed on the best way to maintain your car. Besides, they tend to tell you to do unneccessary things that have a high profit margin in the service department. Do your own research and be knowledgable.

The Prius also has separate collant systems for the ICE and the HSD. They need to be changed at 100,000 miles and every 50,000 thereafter. The HSD coolant system needs to be bled very carfully to avoid air bubbles in the Prius (maybe also in your TCH). An air bubble can lead to Tranny failure due to overheating.

You can read about an engineer's (mainly his Prius 1) view on many of these topics at:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

JeffD

Old 08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH used car or trade in value?

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
When I had mine changed the service rep tried to upgrade me to a 'flush' at $150 stating that it is needed to make certain that the ATF in the torque converter is also replaced. When I reminded him that the Prius has no torque converter he got very flustered.

JeffD
If he hadn't gotten flustered he probably would have tried to sell you a torque converter. Otherwise you'll wind up with a whole bunch of unconverted torque.