Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Tinting (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/tinting-7912/)

mak 06-12-2006 03:42 PM

Tinting

I've been hearing alot of good things about FormulaOne Pinnacle series, but the lowest price I have gotten was $305 for all windows. I live in So Cal. Any one have any recommendations for shops? Is this tint brand worth the price? If not what other non metallic tint brands do you recommend?

WVGasGuy 06-12-2006 04:10 PM

Re: Tinting

I've always wanted tint but I can't stand something that is not perfect. Is it really possible for a person to install this stuff and it look good long term? That is trimed good, no bubbles and no scratches?

I sure wish it was an option to be laminated in the glass

Droid13 06-12-2006 06:48 PM

WV, I would second that. I've been pondering tint too, but it's got to be 100%. Film seems second best way to go but what other choice is there?

nash 06-17-2006 08:34 PM

In the HCH forum HCH-Jun paid $160 to have a Civic tinted
Link

Anyone know of a good place for tinting in the San Diego/Escondido area? I want to get the rear window and perhaps the rear side windows tinted. Way too much sun comes in the rear window...:(

aslterp7 06-18-2006 06:43 AM

I had my Ford Taurus done in Moreno Valley 7 years ago. Great job too bad it faded recently. Otherwise good for $125. My friends are getting Limo tint - dark! The dealer in Temecula is tinting all his hybrids and other cars and adding $2500-4000 to the price for chrome wheels and tint. What a ripoff!

nash 06-19-2006 09:53 PM

Any advice on how much tint to get? I don't want the "limo" look, but do want to reduce the heat and UV comming in. I found a shop that uses the 3M CS "nano carbon polyester". It doesn't interfer with the radio/sat and has a "no purple guarantee" 3M Link

I'm debating getting the front side windows done with a 60% tint. I don't know if it is that noticable at night. I'm looking for advise. I'd love to do something to reduce the noon sun on my legs from the front window - but I think I'll live with it for now and at least keep the windshield legal. I'm concerned that a 60% tint on the windshield would be too noticable when driving at night.

If I do go for the 60% on the front side windows, should I do the back the same or darker to match the rear window?

TCHandler 06-19-2006 10:50 PM

Mine are 10% all around.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...92_16_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...92_15_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...92_17_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...92_18_full.jpg
I think most of you will be happy with 45% on the front and 35% in the back windows.

$130 out the door w/ lifetime warranty

At 60% why even get tinted?

Mine is pretty dark at night but ohhh does it keep my car cool during the day.

lars-ss 06-20-2006 05:23 AM

Huber Optik DREI. Ceramic. Best available. $590 installed with tax. Did that the second day I had my car.

Got a good test of it on a trip to Texas last week from Phoenix. Outside temp was about 103 degrees when I left town, sun was shining through the front windshield.

I touched the dash after about an hour on the road. Dash surface was EXTREMELY HOT to the touch. Almost "burn you" hot.

Touched the plastic on my driver side door, near the edge of the window back by the back of the door, where the Huber Optik was protecting the plastic from the sun's glare - almost COOL to the touch.

This stuff is PRICEY but WORTH IT when you live in Phoenix.

bar10dah 06-20-2006 06:40 AM

Huber Optik would be my first choice. Formula One is my second. Especially because I live in Phoenix. But, still useful anywhere else, too. Unfortunately, my car came tinted already when I bought it. With the cheap/usual stuff. If I didn't run the risk of damaging the rear defroster, I'd pull that stuff right off and get the better tint, right now. I don't know. It's freakin' hot now. I just might take the chance...

Orcrone 06-20-2006 06:54 AM

Where do you find Huber Optik? I did a Google seacrh. Aside from finding it on a couple of chat boards I only found links in German.

lars-ss 06-20-2006 07:56 AM

The only place I have personally ever seen Huber Optik offered is at Danny's Family Car Wash in Phoenix and in Scottsdale, AZ.

I have not looked in other major cities (why would I?) but I'd bet that in some of the WARM weather cities, the higher end tint places do carry and install H.O. I bet you can get it in LA and NYC and probably Miami.

It seems to be rare - I have done the Google searches myself.

TCHandler 06-20-2006 12:36 PM

The price you pay for the tinting I think should also depend on the climate you live as well. In a place like Arizona I have no doubt it is worth that price. Luckily I live near the mountains so $590 would be out of my price range.

aslterp7 07-26-2006 04:37 PM

I had my car tinted 2 weeks ago with limo, in back and 50% in front. It looks great and is a lot cooler. Only problem, now my AM radio does not get a good signal and the FM lost about 10% of its signal. Any suggestions are welcome.

TCHandler 07-26-2006 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by aslterp7
I had my car tinted 2 weeks ago with limo, in back and 50% in front. It looks great and is a lot cooler. Only problem, now my AM radio does not get a good signal and the FM lost about 10% of its signal. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am assuming the tint that your installers used were the metallic based ones. That is why you are having reception problems. I have also heard that metallic tint will mess with the Navi GPS as well. That is why I went with non-metallic.

Joe.B 07-26-2006 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by aslterp7

Best to avoid metalic tint due to interference with radio waves. I tinted with the new 3M Presteige product and no affect at all (http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/.../products.html)

kluken 07-27-2006 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by mak
I've been hearing alot of good things about FormulaOne Pinnacle series, but the lowest price I have gotten was $305 for all windows. I live in So Cal. Any one have any recommendations for shops? Is this tint brand worth the price? If not what other non metallic tint brands do you recommend?

Thats actualy a decent price and probably a great price in CA. I have use Formula One for 14 years on my cars, and i get the Ceramic on th ebackwindow and metal based film on the sides, looks great lasts real good and is durable. I just had my TCH done Monday for $350 + tax in ATL. I don't even shop around these guys have done all my cars for years and have been in business 26 years same location, find many tint places that are around 3 or more years!

kluken 07-27-2006 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by TCHandler
I am assuming the tint that your installers used were the metallic based ones. That is why you are having reception problems. I have also heard that metallic tint will mess with the Navi GPS as well. That is why I went with non-metallic.

I used to have same issue, until I started using ceramic based tint in the back window. Had to in last car due to nav, but I noticed my AM was radio was fine, unlike previous cars where once i had the rear tinted radio reception degraded.

bar10dah 07-27-2006 06:51 PM

I doubt my tint is ceramic, since the dealer did it. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing they went the cheap route. It's not easy to get a vehicle from the dealer that isn't pre-tinted, being in AZ and all.

But I digress...

I believe my tint is metallic, and I've yet to have a problem with AM, FM, or Navi. I chalk it up to being lucky. I've heard of various degrees of problems with metallic tint on the Acura forums.

bar10dah 07-27-2006 06:52 PM

Now that I think about it, the only problems I'd have with metallic tint is Navi, since the AM/FM/XM antennas are outside of the car in the HAHs. And, the Navi works great!

aslterp7 07-30-2006 05:40 PM

Where is the am/fm radio antenna on the TCH? The tinter offered to replace the back windshield with non-metallic for a small fee. Will that help? Or do I need to redo all the windows?

kluken 07-30-2006 06:14 PM

Antenna is in back window, you only need the back non-metallic.

aslterp7 07-30-2006 07:59 PM

Can you see the antenna in the back window or did you read it somewhere? Is the GPS in the front window?

kluken 07-31-2006 04:06 AM

All I can say is that traditionally it has bene in the back window, I did not confirm this I made an assumption (bad me), but every car I have had recently has had them inm the back window. Not sure where Toyota puts the GPS antenna, but in my Acura it was in the back deck.

Mr. Happy 07-31-2006 06:13 AM

I just put 35% metallic on the sides (max legal for front doors) and 35% non-metallic on the back (so it's consistent and doesn't look like a multi-shaded SUV or a limo or ...).

All RF systems (AM, FM, bluetooth, cell phone, nav, smart keys) work perfectly.

nash 07-31-2006 01:58 PM

Here are some pictures of my TCH with 35% tint on the sides and rear. I had ForumulaOne Pinnacle non-metalic tint installed my Mr. Tint. They did a super job. The tint is very clear and does not distort the view. It really looks like a factory tint inside and out. It really helps keep the heat and glare out, and makes driving much more pleasant. We had a light rain the past few mornings and a most welcome relief from the heat.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../0/9/tint1.jpghttps://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi.../0/9/tint2.jpg

WVGasGuy 07-31-2006 05:26 PM

I've never had tint but I like the looks. If it's professionally done can you expect it to last 4 to 5 years with out streaks and bubble appearing? Does it scratch easy / hard to take care of? I'd love laminated but am having trouble committing to tint as it would drive me crazy if it bubbled or I could see seams.

nash 07-31-2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
If it's professionally done can you expect it to last 4 to 5 years with out streaks and bubble appearing? Does it scratch easy / hard to take care of? I'd love laminated but am having trouble committing to tint as it would drive me crazy if it bubbled or I could see seams.

Professionally installed, FormulaOne has a nationwide lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling, cracking, fading or color change. It has a scratch resistant coating, but I don't believe it is warrantied against scratches - so that's a consideration. They did a one piece install on every window, including the rear - no seams :shade:

Care is wiping down with a soft cloth and a non-amonia based window cleaner, or water.

montush 09-14-2006 02:26 PM

I'm considering FormulaOne non-metallic tint for my TCH with NAV.
Just wondering if anyone has had a negative experience with tinting interfering with NAV / Radio reception on their TCH.

Thanks.

kluken 09-14-2006 02:52 PM

I have had numerous cars tinted over the years. My understanding is the NAV antenna is in the dash so metallic tinting shoudl not be a problme, however, while the tint place says no problme, I have foudn that metallic tinting in the rear window of a car that has the AM/FM antenna there does impact AM reception a bit. My standard install now is metallic int he sides and ceramic in the rear window. Ceramic costs more or I woudl proabbly do ceramic all around. I have used Formula One exclusively by the same tint shop for 15 years now.

chiedoziedike 02-27-2007 11:37 AM

I've been looking around for a good place to get my windows tinted in NYC (I live in NYC). Does anybody in the area (New Jersey or New York) know where I could get mine done for a reasonable price?????

Thanks a lot for your help!!!;)

juicius 02-27-2007 05:52 PM

10% tint would get you pulled over and ticketed in Georgia. The limit is 32% I think.

Darker tint does not necessarily keep your car cooler. In fact, the pigment itself is only minimally related to the heat transmission. For example, you will see a number of aftermarket heat blocking window films at home improvement stores that do not make the window any darker. In order to make the interior cooler, it has to block and reflect away the infrared spectrum. There are window tints that are specifically created to keep the interior cooler, but you'd have to go by the published manufacturer's claims, not necessarily what your tint guy tells you.

powerman 03-01-2007 06:33 AM

I have had my TCH for a week now and love it. I would also like to tint the windows. Here in Virginia the legal limit is 35% in the front and 50% in the back. I am thinking of going 35% all the way around because I think that would look better. Unfortunately, the nearest Formula One dealer is 110 miles from me. Does anybody have feedback on Madico's advanced ceramic tint or 3M's color stable window tint? I could get Llumar but there non-metallic tint is dyed and only comes with a 3 year warranty. The other 2 come with a nationwide lifetime warranty.

lars-ss 03-01-2007 07:11 AM

If you want the absolute best tint for UV and heat rejection, look into Huber Optik.

It's expensive as all getout (I paid $540 for my TCH) but it has a lifetime guarantee and is the absolute best I have ever seen for heat rejection.

Since I live in Phoenix, I need all the heat rejection I can afford !!! :D

powerman 03-01-2007 07:48 AM

I would like to use Huper Optik, but driving 150 miles to get the nearest dealer is not practical.

bar10dah 03-01-2007 10:13 AM

It may not be practical, but dependent on how much heat you want to reject, it may be well worth the trip.

Clownie 03-01-2007 01:55 PM

I used small pieces of Gila "static cling" film to "mute" my Ready light, and to mute my Airbag On light... Still can see the Ready light in bright sunlight, but much more subtle when cruising at night. The airbag on light is much less noticable. Best $20 I ever spent...:D Despite my "handle", above post is re my Toyota Camry Hybrid...

Bemidji2az 03-22-2007 12:08 PM

I really like the Huber Optik tint for Phoenix. I can drive with my arm next to the window, even on the sunnyside and it is cool. Before I could barely touch the window. I now keep the air conditioner on low nolonger do I need to use MAX high. I found Huber Tint at Comfort Shield in N. Phoeinx.

wilsons66604 03-22-2007 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by lars-ss (Post 113871)
If you want the absolute best tint for UV and heat rejection, look into Huber Optik.

It's expensive as all getout (I paid $540 for my TCH) but it has a lifetime guarantee and is the absolute best I have ever seen for heat rejection.

Since I live in Phoenix, I need all the heat rejection I can afford !!! :D

Do you happen to have a XM antena in the back window? I wonder if this will mess with the reception of the XM