View Poll Results: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?
The fact that the fuel refill door can be opened while driving
3.33%
The location of the ECO button
55.56%
The difficulty required to use the AUX MP3 plug
11.11%
Other, please let us know
21.11%
Nothing, I think my TCH is perfect!
8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

I voted other. I think the graph on the MFD is the dumbest part. This car's original EPA was 38MPG (old numbers), yet the graph ends at 40? That was just dumb! 45 or even better 50 would be more appropriate.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Pragmatist

The cruise control is just stupid. It maintains exactly the same speed no matter what. It should allow speed to bleed off a little when starting up a hill, and then apply enough throttle to maintain the slower speed, and maintain that throttle until the set speed is regained as the hill flattens out. Similarly, let the speed climb a little when starting down a hill, then let off the throttle to maintain the higher speed, and maintain that reduction until the speed drops to the set speed as the hill flattens out. The idea is called "hysteresis". Most engineers are familiar with the concept. Set the delta in each direction to efficiently climb over a highway bridge on an otherwise flat road.

This mode should be enabled by the ECO button.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My peeve is the trunk space - the arrangement of battery air intake and how it's plumbed in smacks of late-cycle development hacks. The '70 Rambler Rebel Machine air scoop on the rear package shelf confirms this ;=) Corollary peeve is the 12V battery location and arrangement - likewise, it seems like an afterthought.

Lack of availability of factory fog lamps is a bit of a bummer - yes, I realize aftermarket units can be 'whittled to fit', but a pre-engineered setup would be nice.

Another item is the Toyota prohibition against use of hitch receiver and hitch-mounted bike racks. Not THAT big a deal for us, just means we take the van (with its heavier drinking habits).

Old 07-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

"The fact that the fuel refill door can be opened while drivin"
Mine doesnt...I tried this a few times. If I am driving and hit the fuel door button it doesnt do anything. I am sure it does not open, I checked...

Old 07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
it's just a car...

Journalists who attribute the TCH's higher price to the hybrid system alone and seldom list the many features not found on the base Camry.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 PM

I cannot believe that no one has yet mentioned the freaking legal disclaimer and hold harmless agreement that you have to digitally sign by way of the "I AGREE" button on the MFD/NAV at every start up.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am with Frodo on the trunk space and bike rack issues.

They bug me the most day to day.

I also don't like the way the sides of the car beg to be scratched or whammed by things and the MPG gauge....I have no clue how to even read it worth beans.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backupguy
I wish the TCH could use the electric motor more when starting from a dead stop...
It does, but be prepared for a very slow acceleration. If you gingerly press the gas peddle, the car will start rolling on battery power and (under certain conditions) accelerate up to 40 miles per hour. However, this acceleration is probably too slow to be practicle on most roads (and likely get you disrespectful gestures from the other drivers).
If you want a normal acceleration, you'll need gas.
It's all about the weight (the lighter Prius probably can accelerate on battery better than the TCH).
Originally Posted by McGyver
I cannot believe that no one has yet mentioned the freaking legal disclaimer and hold harmless agreement that you have to digitally sign by way of the "I AGREE" button on the MFD/NAV at every start up.
Thank a class action lawyer for that one.
Originally Posted by Frodo
...Lack of availability of factory fog lamps is a bit of a bummer ...
Fog lights are not legal in many states. From a manufacturing perspective, it would be cost prohibitive for a mid priced sedan to have an ala carte menu of options that are not available in a good percentage of their market. They'd have to make a few versions of the car.

Last edited by haroldo; 07-08-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by McGyver
That's unfortunately getting to be universal on factory NAV systems. Not a Toyota or a TCH 'feature' any more.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Fog lights are not legal in many states. From a manufacturing perspective, it would be cost prohibitive for a mid priced sedan to have an ala carte menu of options that are not available in a good percentage of their market. They'd have to make a few versions of the car.
Toyota has factory fogs on other parts of the Camry line - SE for example, and they're 'standard' on the XLE. It's just that they're not available on the TCH.

Quick Reply: What is the dumbest part of the TCH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands