Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/whats-servo-sound-behind-speedometer-16497/)

rburt07 12-26-2007 08:56 PM

Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer

Anybody know what the servo sound is behind the speedometer. I notice it occurs after shutting off the engine for the night. It seems to be delayed a few seconds after your press the power button for the engine to shut down.

The other I found after engine shutoff is a loud servo sound under the hood. Its coming from the metal ABS box where the brake lines connect to it. This is located next to the fender, behind the engine area of the passenger side headlamp. My guess is it may be some sort of fluid pressure bleed off.

07CamHybrid 12-26-2007 10:06 PM

Re: Whats that Servo Sound behind the Speedometer

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but most of those sounds are normal. (At least according to the manual)

rburt07 12-26-2007 10:19 PM

Near everything on the car is all electric except maybe for the engine. I just enjoy knowing what each noise is although it's normal.

schmidtj 12-27-2007 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07 (Post 155521)
Anybody know what the servo sound is behind the speedometer. I notice it occurs after shutting off the engine for the night. ...

Steering Wheel Lock solenoid?

CJO2007CamryHyb 12-27-2007 04:22 AM

The noise you hear under the hood is a relay, that turns on a vacuum pump, i believe. It usually comes on after 15-30 seconds after you turn the ignition off. I think it has to do with the gas tank vapor system. The reason that the TCH is an AT-PZEV is partly because the gas tank is sealed and will not allow any vapor to escape into the atmposhere. That system allows the TCH to eliminate the vapors........or substantially reduce them.;) :shade:

SPL 12-27-2007 09:45 AM

The electric motor noise coming from the steering column area when you open the driver's door after switching the car OFF is the steering column lock operating. The assorted electric motor noises from under the hood a minute or so after switching OFF is, I believe, the brake system de-pressurizing. The power (friction) brakes use a reservoir of pressurized hydraulic brake fluid, and this pressure is relieved shortly after switch-off. Fuel tank pressure checking doesn't occur until many hours (9 if I recall correctly) after switch-off.

Stan

rburt07 12-27-2007 10:47 PM

Your right about the dash servo. I started the car and put it in gear. The servo noise came on and I saw the steering wheel move about 1 inch. So now I now the servo behind the speedometer is locking and unlocking the steering wheel.