What's that "whurrrring" sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: What's that "whurrrring" sound?

I think it's interesting that there are recurring threads about noise that turns out to be tire noise. Most cars make so much machinery and exhaust noise that you can't hear the tires, unless you are on a grooved cement road. This is especially true for older cars, which happens to be the type of car that most people have just before they buy a new car. This car makes so little noise that we can hear the tires easily.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

that may be true for some but I don't find it overly quiet when the ICE is running. especially during acceleration its not quiet to me.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I seldom hear my ice running. Maybe a little when accelerating. Remember I accelerate slow out here in the southern desert. I forgot to mention that i'm getting old. I don't hear as good as a younger person.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Finally took it in and it was bad right rear bearing. They replaced the hub/bearing assembly and now I can listen to the wind noise again!

Robb

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
SPL

test54 — Be aware that the TCH's muffler is designed with an internal bypass valve that opens under a heavy throttle. This design allows the muffler to use its full muffling capability and so to provide very low exhaust noise under moderate ICE power demands. But under heavy throttle, the bypass valve opens to reduce back-pressure and increase the ICE's output power; this increases the exhaust noise quite audibly. See pages EG-23 and 24 of the attached document taken from the New Car Features Manual.

Stan

Attached Files
Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
test54 — Be aware that the TCH's muffler is designed with an internal bypass valve that opens under a heavy throttle. This design allows the muffler to use its full muffling capability and so to provide very low exhaust noise under moderate ICE power demands. But under heavy throttle, the bypass valve opens to reduce back-pressure and increase the ICE's output power; this increases the exhaust noise quite audibly. See pages EG-23 and 24 of the attached document taken from the New Car Features Manual.

Stan
Thanks Stan. That was a good read.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Thanks Stan. That was a good read.
Ditto. I am wondering about how those intake manifold resonators work.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL

Stan
Stan, may I ask where you got the "New Car Features Manual"? It looks like it provides very detailed info about many parts of the car.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

yeah thanks for the info, good to know.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was just commenting to my fiance about the same exact noise this post describes. It's definitely not a regen or drive-train noise. I really hope it's not a wheel bearing. Is there a way I can test for a bad bearing? I jacked up the car in the left rear (to check the tire) and noticed that when spinning the wheel, I get mild resistance and a soft "scrape" noise half-way through the rotation. I thought it was just minor warping in the brake rotors. Does this sound like a brake issue or bearing?

Quick Reply: What's that "whurrrring" sound?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands