Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Funny (not "ha-ha" type - but strange) I had the same reaction from the dealer I got it from. He gave me some "region price structure" thing about how the dealers are priced different nationally. However, I did find it $800 cheaper at another local dealer. Yet, the one in Kansas City - midwest - (Actually Wichita) was the best at $990 for the 7/100/0 plan. He even had the prepaid maintenance for $600 & $800 explaining that the difference was 3 oil changes between the two. He was saying that for the money, the $600 plan was better since the higher one did nothing but the 3 oil changes - no special hybrid or vehicle maintenance was done on the final check.

But lets get back to MY dealer. This nimrod was trying to tell me the other warranties weren't Toyota first. Then, he backpeddled into the regional pricing speech and then he basically offered to start the cancelation papers if i wanted to. I think he was trying to force me into thinking there was no cheap warranty and if I cancelled mine I got from him I'd be screwed. He did however call me back later to tell me a web site I told him of (for a $1,200 version of his $2,000 plan) was NOT a Toyota direct site but a dealer selling these at cheap prices and that I should be careful.

Bottom line: Once my CF plates process out of the dealers system I'm gonnadrop the warranty FAST. My biggest concern is that if these guys are gonna try to rip me on the warranty, they could very well jack me around on my plate transfer from my previous HCH to my (better & nicer) TCH. More to follow...

Old 01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Enthusiast

I just circumvented the dealer and cancelled directly through TF just to make sure.

Originally Posted by warehouse
They wanted me to sign the blank cancel form and they said that they would fill it out later. I insisted that it be filled out and that I got a copy. What a pack of lies. If they don't want my money then that's too bad!

I'll be calling TF in a week to make sure they got the paperwork.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Warehouse et.al.
Fear Not!
I got my warranty from the Midwest Superstore in Kansas shortly after we got our TCH. Everything I received is on genuine Toyota forms and the paperwork comes from Toyota.

Of course, YMMV depending on where go to get your warranty.

Essentially, as best I can figure, these dealers are selling the warranties for about $50 over their cost..... They can make some big bux when a website like this mentions their "deal" and they get calls from all over the US.

Last edited by Scooters; 01-10-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

After reading this topic, I returned both the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plans that I bought with the my TCH ($3150 for both, ouch!). I didn't try to bargain with them, I just told them I wished to return both plans. To my local dealers credit, there were no problems, no guilt trips, no lies, etc. I just had to return the extended warranty card and the maintenance coupons and fill out a single page form (actually, they filled it out for me). Real simple.

I then bought an extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plan from the Midwest superstore in Kansas. Platinum 7/75K/0 for $645 and 3/40K for $645. I worked with Chris (in the finance dept). I told him what plans I was interested in and he quoted me the above prices. No hassle, just great service. I was done in 10 minutes (probably closer to 5).

So, using the info from this forum and just about a half hour of my time, I saved $1860. Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Congrats on the savings. I will definitely be using the info from this thread to negotiate the price of an extended warranty on my TCH when it arrives. I haven't decided if I'm going to purchase one yet...

Originally Posted by nakover
After reading this topic, I returned both the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plans that I bought with the my TCH ($3150 for both, ouch!). I didn't try to bargain with them, I just told them I wished to return both plans. To my local dealers credit, there were no problems, no guilt trips, no lies, etc. I just had to return the extended warranty card and the maintenance coupons and fill out a single page form (actually, they filled it out for me). Real simple.

I then bought an extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plan from the Midwest superstore in Kansas. Platinum 7/75K/0 for $645 and 3/40K for $645. I worked with Chris (in the finance dept). I told him what plans I was interested in and he quoted me the above prices. No hassle, just great service. I was done in 10 minutes (probably closer to 5).

So, using the info from this forum and just about a half hour of my time, I saved $1860. Thanks to everyone for all the great info!

Old 01-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nakover - So, you cancelled both and then started up the new ones thru Midwest? Did they (your old dealer) give you any idea of how long until your refund ?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
Nakover - So, you cancelled both and then started up the new ones thru Midwest? Did they (your old dealer) give you any idea of how long until your refund ?
Meerkat,

They told me 6 to 8 weeks. I thought I read an earlier post in this thread that said someone got a refund in about a month. We'll see .....

Old 01-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

What a joke. I just found out today that my dealer has been "sitting" on the agreement paperwork I paid over $3k for since the 3rd of Jan. They say they only turn it in to TOYOTA once a month - since I called TOYOTA and they have NO record of my contracts in thier system. And the dealer got a little bent when i aksed why!?

She was saying I'm still covered by the warranty (although, I'm fully covered anyway for 3/36 under the regular one). Needless to say I told them I'm heading over there to get my money back since they obviously are in no rush to close the papers out. Ah, but like magic she now thinks the paperwork has been sent out and that she'll "get back with me on Monday" to let me know for sure.

What a load......

Old 01-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meerkat
What a joke. I just found out today that my dealer has been "sitting" on the agreement paperwork I paid over $3k for since the 3rd of Jan. They say they only turn it in to TOYOTA once a month - since I called TOYOTA and they have NO record of my contracts in thier system. And the dealer got a little bent when i aksed why!?

She was saying I'm still covered by the warranty (although, I'm fully covered anyway for 3/36 under the regular one). Needless to say I told them I'm heading over there to get my money back since they obviously are in no rush to close the papers out. Ah, but like magic she now thinks the paperwork has been sent out and that she'll "get back with me on Monday" to let me know for sure.

What a load......

I find that odd that the dealer would just sit on $3k. I wonder why...

Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I may have mispoke. They aren't really "holding" the money. They processed the payment actually since its on my CC statement.

I don't know why they haven't sent the papers to TFS to get in the system. Just seems like they have thier own way of doing things and don't care really. Maybe they do this to slow down the process of cancelling and getting a refund when others find out that the plans are MUCH cheaper out in the real world.

Too bad I didn't look into it before I bought the car. There should be a way to let others know prior so they don't make foolish moves like I did.

Go figure...

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Extended Warranty - Best Price

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands