Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Where the heck is the oil filter? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/where-heck-oil-filter-8905/)

kluken 07-30-2006 05:32 PM

Where the heck is the oil filter?

I do my own oil, but I have stuck my head under the TCH and don't see the filter, where the heck did they hide it? I'm assuming I won't be doing my oil so easily in this car.

AKM 07-30-2006 06:07 PM

Re: Where the heck is the oil filter?

Originally Posted by kluken
I do my own oil, but I have stuck my head under the TCH and don't see the filter, where the heck did they hide it? I'm assuming I won't be doing my oil so easily in this car.

I'm the same as you (do mine own every 3,000) and I can not find it either?

Is it remote and hidden somewhere?

Next weekend when a have a little more time I will jack it up and take a better look.

If you find out please let me know as I will if I find the darn thing!

kluken 07-30-2006 06:16 PM

**** shame, never had to jack up a single car to do my own oil, the last one, Acura TL was a reall pain, but could still do it without moving car. I'm not a big fan of getting under cars on jack stands. The local Good Year will change it for me for $18 even if I bring my own oil and filter, which I may do as at 2k miles I switch to Mobil1 0w20 and Mobil1 Filter.

lars-ss 07-30-2006 06:22 PM

I just spent 10 minutes looking for my oil filter. (never thought I'd ever say those words in that order)

I *THINK* it's behind the oil pan drain bolt, in other words, if the front of the TCH is "North" then the filter I think is just directly South of the oil drain bolt. I sent my ten year old son under there and he thinks he saw it.

Lucky for me I have some drive-on ramps and can drive up on them when I need to change the oil. If that's not where it is, it has to be in that area, because that is the bottom of the oil pan.

lars-ss 07-30-2006 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by kluken
**** shame, never had to jack up a single car to do my own oil, the last one, Acura TL was a reall pain, but could still do it without moving car. I'm not a big fan of getting under cars on jack stands. The local Good Year will change it for me for $18 even if I bring my own oil and filter, which I may do as at 2k miles I switch to Mobil1 0w20 and Mobil1 Filter.

Is Mobil 1 selling the 0w-20 oil again, or did you just have a stockpile? I'm looking for some of that myself.:D

Answered my own question - Mobil 1 0W-20 is BAAACKK !!!:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-20.aspx

Mobil 1 0W-20

Mobil 1 0W-20 rejoins the Mobil 1 product lineup to meet the needs of today's more fuel-efficient vehicles including hybrids. Mobil 1 0W-20 is a fully synthetic formula that helps reduce wear and extend engine life while delivering the best fuel economy within the Mobil 1 line. The low viscosity of Mobil 1 0W-20 allows for quick oil flow to protect critical engine parts during the frequent start-ups that occur in gasoline/electric hybrids.

kluken 07-30-2006 06:38 PM

Yeah 0w20 is back and they are pushing it for Hybrids. I think it will be great for the TCH, all that stopping and starting the ICE, the 0w20 will get oil circulating quickly throughout the engine.

TCH2007 07-30-2006 06:52 PM

Speaking of oil filter - has anyone found the P/N yet or a cross-reference to one of the aftermarket brands??

TIA

AKM 07-30-2006 06:53 PM

K&N HP-1003.

http://www.drivewire.com/toyotaparts/oilfilter.html

TCH2007 07-31-2006 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by AKM

Hmmmm, I see the listing, but did not spot the actual K&N part number. Looks like it is the same filter as the non-hybrid I4 engine.

Thanks!

AKM 07-31-2006 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by TCH2007
Hmmmm, I see the listing, but did not spot the actual K&N part number. Looks like it is the same filter as the non-hybrid I4 engine.

Thanks!

Click on the picture.