Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   whump, whump, whump, whump, etc. (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/whump-whump-whump-whump-etc-19233/)

vioarc 07-24-2008 07:44 PM

whump, whump, whump, whump, etc.

My TCH is virtually silent, even after 30,000+ miles except for an annoying low beat coming from one of my bridgestones which seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Anyone else have similar experience?

RadioTek 07-24-2008 08:07 PM

Re: whump, whump, whump, whump, etc.

Last time I had one of those sounds, it was a tread separation in the tire. You might want to check it out, or have it done if you don't feel confident. Not to cause any panic, but if it is one, that's a safety issue.

RedLdr1 07-25-2008 04:46 AM

+1 on RadioTek's answer. The last time I had that sound it was a tread seperation in a Firestone tire...

Note: If you have used a Instant Flat Fix or other tire sealant / balancer product they can cause a similar sound. It would be most noticeable when the tire is cold and usually goes away as the tire warms up...

schmidtj 07-25-2008 06:07 PM

Yep on the tread separation speculation. I had 2 tires fail that way but that was MANY years ago. I haven't known anyone who has had a radial tread separate.
Get it checked especially if you do any highway driving.

abward 07-25-2008 07:12 PM

Out of curiosity, when did you purchase your TCH? I assume it is a 2007. Is there a serial number on these tires?

vioarc 07-27-2008 08:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.
No visible separation.
No "fix a flat" or other repairs that I'm aware of.
The Bridgestone Turanza has a "DY218E" and "0606" mark.
The TCH is a 2007 delivered May 2006.

theox 07-27-2008 12:19 PM

"0606" means that the tire was fabricated the 6th week of 2006. Therefore, I don't believe it's an "old tire" issue.

vioarc 07-27-2008 12:59 PM

It's difficult to spell out a sound in text.
It starts out as described above at slow speed and speeds up as rotation increases to become more of a continuous oscillating noise.

rburt07 07-27-2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by vioarc (Post 182255)
My TCH is virtually silent, even after 30,000+ miles except for an annoying low beat coming from one of my bridgestones which seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Anyone else have similar experience?

On your next tire balance and rotation, I would ask for a close visual inspection to look for this problem. You may want to also look at your tread depth. Some shops include it on your receipt to help sell new tires.

You may have a visual wear spot caused from where the tread may have separated.

vioarc 08-12-2008 07:28 PM

When I took it to the local Toyota dealer, the guy at the counter only looked at the driver's front and declared that I needed new tires. I explained that I'd like to know what caused the noise. He said it didn't matter and that they would not consider a rotating the tires.

I went across the road to a tire dealer. They mounted four (4) Michelins and told me my TCH really needed alignment.

I suppose I should have "reminded" the dealer to check alignment EVERY time I took it in for the usual 2,000 mi. rotation.