Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver
Default Re: Why am I only getting 31.8 MPG????

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Where did I say that I drive 15mph+ over most limits on country/mountainous type roads? I said CITY roads (expressways and such).

Sorry, we're not connecting. I never said you drove on country/mountainous roads. That's me. I did see where you drive expressways at 80mpg and city roads at 15+ over the limits. I always consider "city" roads as lower limit streets with stop signs and red lights, not expressways. Perhaps I'm wrong on that definition. Perhaps it's just my inability to understand "city" as being in a rural area it certainly has a different meaning to me.

Reguardless, on both types of roads are roads you say you're driving at either 80 (10 to 15 over the limit?) on freeways and city streets at 15 over the limit. It's not a positive or negative observation on my part just trying to understand why the TCH would appeal to that driving style.

Bottom line, it's really none of my business why you like it. I bought one, you bought one, we both have our reasons and that's OK.
No problem.
I received the vehicle as a work bonus. My boss (the company owner) is working on alternative energy resources on the side and he is a very green guy (his entire family drives Prius's).
Personally I would never have given this car a first, second or any look whatsoever but since owning and driving it I must say that I love the thing.

I'm saving about 50% on fuel costs and not sacrificing much of anything else.

I even find myself looking at that darn MPG meter much more then I should!

Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The only car like that I've owned was a Z-28 convertable

Let me guess, a '69 Z28 Hugger Orange with white stripes and a 396?
Not quite. A '94 Z28. Maroon with a black top. No stripes. 5.7 liter engine (350 CID). 6 speed MT.

One reason I liked that version is that with the exception of the Z28 badge and some exhaust differences it looked just like a standard Camaro. I can't stand the high school boy-racer add on body panels.

Loved the car. Just hated how familiar I became with the Chevy service manager.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Don't feel bad about your 31.8

So far, my tank average is 29.5 mpg.

My commute is either 2.5 miles with 4 lights and 11 stop signs ... or

Sometimes it's 5.5 miles with 10 lights and 12 stop signs.

Not to mention that these stops are the dots that connect a bunch of short segments of stop and go , stop and go.

The only reason it's 29.5 and not a little lower is because occasionally I go highway or take local roads late at night when I can use the 30-40 mph sweet spot.

I guess, 29 mpg for this kind of jerky commute isn't half bad.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 AM
WVGasGuy

I received the vehicle as a work bonus

That certainly beats any tax credit I got. (Actually if it's in your name I assume you can still get the tax credit. That would be an incredible deal _ like a free gas for life offer)

Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 AM

I received the vehicle as a work bonus

That certainly beats any tax credit I got. (Actually if it's in your name I assume you can still get the tax credit. That would be an incredible deal _ like a free gas for life offer)
He received the car as a work bonus. I'd assume the rebate goes to the original purchaser which would be the company, so I'd guess they'd get the tax credit. Still a TCH for free. WOW!!

Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM
WVGasGuy

He received the car as a work bonus. I'd assume the rebate goes to the original purchaser

Probably, but maybe if they simply ordered it and paid for it with a company check but titled it in his name then he may be entitled to the tax credit. I don't believe corporations get this particular credit. It's worth checking into.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

It's in my name so I will get the tax credit.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
WVGasGuy

EXCELLENT!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by AKM
It's in my name so I will get the tax credit.
You get a TCH for free and you get the tax credit?

Any openings at your company?