Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Would this service be of value? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/would-service-value-16478/)

schmidtj 12-25-2007 05:41 AM

Would this service be of value?

1 Attachment(s)
I just purchased a 7.1 NAV DVD. I typically backup the DVD and keep the original squirrled away in my safe deposit box for safe keeping and run off the copy. That way the original stays safe.
Not everyone has the ability to create the backup as permitted by the DMCA so they typically run off the original copy.
So I was wondering if there was a market for NAV DVD archiving service?
For a modest fee a backup copy of the current NAV DVD could be supplied to you which would then permit you to keep your original in a safe place like I do.
To prevent this service being used to obtain illegtimate copies as low cost the subscriber to the service would have to state they do have the original in their posession.
Perhaps faxing or emailing an image of their DVD like the one attached? Maybe?
Curious.

H2O Doctor 12-25-2007 02:15 PM

Re: Would this service be of value?

I would be interested.

I would also be interested in a hybrid disk which combines the ability of being able to access the screen when the car is moving. I'm not stupid enough to do this by myself, but when my wife and I travel, I ask her to input the data as we drive. I have version 5 and know the sequence which allows entry at all times.

I have not purchased an update, since I don't want to lose the ability for my wife to enter data as I drive.

I wish big brother Toyota would rethink their attitude on this.

crasher 12-25-2007 05:08 PM

Did any1 tried to make hybrid of 7.1 version?

Sooty 12-26-2007 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by crasher (Post 155420)
Did any1 tried to make hybrid of 7.1 version?

If someone were to make a hybrid 7.1 disk, I would bet they would end up with the agree screen back again.

Not something I would want.

Sooty 12-26-2007 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 155403)
To prevent this service being used to obtain illegtimate copies as low cost the subscriber to the service would have to state they do have the original in their posession.
Perhaps faxing or emailing an image of their DVD like the one attached? Maybe?
Curious.

So to play devils advocate for minute now.

What is there to stop me from taking your picture of the DVD running it through Photoshop or some such program changing it just a little then sending it to you as a copy of "my DVD" and getting you to make a copy of your DVD for me?

Just like the attached image.

Thus I end up with an illegitimate copy after all for a very low cost.

A nice thought, but not a viable enterprise I would say.

Best regards
Steve

schmidtj 12-26-2007 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 155477)
...What is there to stop me from taking your picture of the DVD running it through Photoshop or some such program changing it just a little then sending it to you as a copy of "my DVD" and getting you to make a copy of your DVD for me?...

Actually ... absolutely nothing. You wouldn't even need to run it through PhotoShop. Imagine that.

Sooty 12-26-2007 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 155478)
Actually ... absolutely nothing. You wouldn't even need to run it through PhotoShop. Imagine that.

So you are offering sell illegal copies then?

How is this "Keeping Toyota Solvent"?

schmidtj 12-26-2007 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 155480)
So you are offering sell illegal copies then?

How is this "Keeping Toyota Solvent"?

Like I said. You would attest in writing and supply a scanned image of the DVD for proof as to your legal possession of the software. I could then legally provide you a archival copy as permitted by the DMCA. If you choose to lie then that's your business I'm in the clear. I would have your proof of ownership statement should anyone come knocking on my door.
No different than sending a copy of your wedding pictures taken by a professional photographer off to Kodak for copies. They will gladly do it only if you provide them a written statement that you have the rights to the photo. If you lie to them they could care less.

Dang 12-26-2007 02:00 PM

I think you are mis-reading DMCA. You don't have the ability to make an archival copy because someone else purchased something.
It's been tried before, unsuccessfully. (I'm just making copies for Bob as a backup!) Didn't work. That's why no legitimate company will do it for you.

Nice try though!

Dang

schmidtj 12-26-2007 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dang (Post 155494)
I think you are mis-reading DMCA. You don't have the ability to make an archival copy because someone else purchased something.
It's been tried before, unsuccessfully. (I'm just making copies for Bob as a backup!) Didn't work. That's why no legitimate company will do it for you.

Nice try though!

Dang

Makes sense. Thanks.