Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Highlander Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/)
-   -   2008 Oil Filter (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/2008-oil-filter-21228/)

Bob259 03-08-2009 06:28 AM

2008 Oil Filter

Any one here change their own oil on their 08 HH. My 06 used the spin on filters and when I got some at the deatler the other day when I picked up my new 08 they gave me the cartridge type. To wet to crawl around and look right now, but the Fram site lists spin on, like the 06 but a link back with instructions from Toyota shows the cartridge typelisted for the hybrid... just wondering if they gave me the right ones or wrong ones...

I thought the site used to have a ink to the sevice manuals, but I don't see it anymore... did I miss it?

nsxman2001 03-09-2009 07:41 PM

Re: 2008 Oil Filter

Originally Posted by Bob259 (Post 199037)
Any one here change their own oil on their 08 HH. My 06 used the spin on filters and when I got some at the deatler the other day when I picked up my new 08 they gave me the cartridge type. To wet to crawl around and look right now, but the Fram site lists spin on, like the 06 but a link back with instructions from Toyota shows the cartridge typelisted for the hybrid... just wondering if they gave me the right ones or wrong ones...

I thought the site used to have a ink to the sevice manuals, but I don't see it anymore... did I miss it?

I have an 08 highlander hybrid and I just changed my oil and filter last week myself and its a Spin on filter part# 90915-YZZD1 it has the same engine as the 06-07.. hope this helps

Good luck!!

Bob259 03-09-2009 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by nsxman2001 (Post 199127)
I have an 08 highlander hybrid and I just changed my oil and filter last week myself and its a Spin on filter part# 90915-YZZD1 it has the same engine as the 06-07.. hope this helps

Good luck!!

Thanks.... Interesting how I've heard from several folks that it is the cartridge, as some information points to, including a Toyota file, someone sent and to the spin on from all the filter catalogs :confused: , and now you, who have actually changed it yourself. I trust the hands on advice more THANKS!!!!:D

Just checked and that is the same filter I had and used on my 06 as well.

Bob259 03-10-2009 07:28 AM

The Rain stopped long enough today for me to crawl under and check / verify what is on my vehicle and it is the spin on and not the cartridge type on the 08 Hybrid.

Guess I'll be swaping the two carridge type the dealar gave me in error for the correct ones tomorrow. I love it when you have to make several trips to get the right stuff.... I even questioned the parts guy stating that my 06 used the spin ons on the Hybrid, but he said nope all the new ones use the cartridge now. Guess he should have checked :zip:

MTL_HiHy 07-26-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob259 (Post 199128)
Thanks.... Interesting how I've heard from several folks that it is the cartridge, as some information points to, including a Toyota file, someone sent and to the spin on from all the filter catalogs :confused: , and now you, who have actually changed it yourself. I trust the hands on advice more THANKS!!!!:D

Just checked and that is the same filter I had and used on my 06 as well.

I went to the dealer and to ask for a filter for my 2009 Highlander and was given 04152-YZZA1 (cartridge type).

Sounds like they have the wrong info too which is kinda scary since the dealer should know better.......sounds like the 90915-YZZD3 (longer filter) also fits.

GeorgiaHybrid 07-26-2013 11:21 PM

Most of Toyota's engines swapped over to a cartridge type filter in 2009 although a few did in 2008. Double check what filter your engine needs before you make that first oil change and save a trip.

MTL_HiHy 07-30-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 249125)
Most of Toyota's engines swapped over to a cartridge type filter in 2009 although a few did in 2008. Double check what filter your engine needs before you make that first oil change and save a trip.

Not sure if Canada was different, but I just checked and my 2009 Highlander Hybrid is still taking the regular style filters as mentioned above.