Disappointing gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disappointing gas mileage

Originally Posted by gbobla
Toyota chooses to advertise using the EPA #'s.
AFIK, they are not allowed to use any other numbers by law.

EPA tests are done with no A/C and on a dyno in a lab, so there are huge discrepancies between what we may get and what they "get". Also they are using testing methods developed in the 60's and most people (even driving 'conservatively') do not drive like people did in the 60's.

I still say the biggest factor is that you are driving a fresh motor, whereas EPA tested a well broken-in motor, and that can make a huge difference, especially these days with computers in the vehicle that monitor mileage and adjust various things on the engine to ease it's break-in so that it will last longer. If after 8000 miles it's still getting low MPG, then you may have something to complain about.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gbobla
I understand completely what EPA #'s are, and so does Toyota---I'm sure that Toyota has much more accurate numbers from their own testing. Toyota chooses to advertise using the EPA #'s.
Carmakers are bound *BY LAW* to post the EPA numbers on their vehicles.

No automaker would ever want to "put their own" estimates on the car unless EVERY OTHER CARMAKER did the same thing - that would put them at a competetive disadvantage.

And everyone knows the 40-year-old EPA test are flawed, even the EPA, who is looking into ways to update it. The test was only slightly modified ONCE, in 1986, and is by far not taking into account the habits of 2005 drivers and life in the USA.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Prius geek

But your emissions are MUCH lower! That's got to be good for not only you, but your kids, grandkids, neighbors...well, everyone on the planet.

I know using less (getting the higher MPG) would be great too, but even the Prius "wastes" gas for the first 5 minutes to warm the emission control parts/engine, etc. to get lower emissions.

Over the long haul it's worth it not to pollute our only home.

I'm also pretty sure the HH is a kick to drive, just like my Prius is. I'm gonna see about a test drive when our 2nd Prius comes in. (2 weeks and counting!)

Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

I can relate - I was very disappointed with the first two tanks of my highlander... I just calculated my 4th tank of my 2wd non-limited highlander and it was 25.4mpg... It's getting there. I had it pointed out to me that these cars have a stiff breakin period for the first couple of thousand miles.

Also - it was pointed out to me that if your trips are short, you'll pay a mileage penalty... 5 minutes to warm up. My commute is about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic... I was hoping when I bought it that I'd get the "city driving" benefit... but the short commute counteracts that. I'm hoping for an eventual 28mpg after the breakin period. Which is pretty good for an SUV.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast

I've been using cruise control on my HH lately, and mileage is way up - 26, still not 28. The cruise control setting seems to use battery much more to maintain speed, and saves on gas. Give it a try. I would be very disappointed with 21 as well.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Disappointing gas mileage - check your tires!

I'm sorry to hear of Lexus hybrid owners' disappointment. One variable that I didn't see mentioned in this thread is TIRE PRESSURE!
Check you tires every time you fill up. You'll be surprised how often they need topping-up. Keeping the tires inflated 2-4 psi over the recommended pressure will significantly improve mileage. I imagine this will be more so in the Lexus, with its larger tires, vs my Civic Hybrid.
My understanding is that the Lexus is designed for performance, not mileage, so it may take time to learn to drive it most efficiently.
Good luck!

Old 08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Disappointing gas mileage

You guys really are getting shafted by Toyota. I have an Escape Hybrid and was getting 28mpg from the get-go with mixed driving and has now improved that to around 31mpg with 5k miles.

Hope it gets better as the car ages.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't say we are getting shafted by Toyota. I would never buy another Ford but that is because of my experiences with the two Fords I have owned.

It is very hard to compare the Escape Hybrid with the Highlander Hybrid. They are in two different classes. Part of the reason for the lower mileage with the HH is because it has so much power and it is much larger. It weighs more, has over a hundred more horsepower, 40 cubic feet more room and 2500 more towing capacity.

I now have almost 4,000 miles on my HH and have been getting 28 mpg in mixed driving. The more I learn how to drive the HH the better my mileage gets.

I am glad you are happy with your Escape and I am happy I bought the Highlander.

Good luck with your Ford...

Last edited by Johnnyroaster; 09-01-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Disappointing gas mileage

Hi All,

I've owned my Highlander Hybrid LTD for a month now and love it !!!
I'm amused by those who complain about poor mileage with their HH. Didn't they do some research on this and other Highlander Hybrid forums before making their purchase ??
If they did, they would have found that optimum mileage with this vehicle doesn't occur until after 1500 - 2000 miles. They also would have known enough to NOT believe the posted MPG on the sales sticker.
I think there are some HH owners with unrealistic expectations.
I currently have 850 miles on my HH and am getting 26.9 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. I don't expect to get more than another MPG in mixed driving when the engine is finally "broken in"....and I would be VERY pleased with that !!!

Last edited by SkyKing; 09-09-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just filled up for the first time with most of the driving being my normal commute. While waiting for my HiHy and reading these boards and elsewhere, I had become convinced that my personal commute is a good fit for the hybrids - roughly 40 miles, about half of it on surface streets. I *do* gain/lose 3000 ft with my home in the foothills and work being "down the hill" in the Denver metro area - that part of the commute is on limited access roads - not strictly freeway but most without traffic lights and speed limits that vary between 45 mph in the twisty portions to 65 in the straight-away near the bottom. I was very pleased to see a calculated mpg of 28.6 for my commute route. I'll admit that my personal challenge is to *not* use the power available as I climb the hill in the evenings.

I've tried a little bit of the P&G but usually too much traffic around to do this effectively. I've had more success with accellerating slightly above where I want to be, fully releasing the gas pedal and then lightly pressing to maintain speed and attempt to stay in electric mode (this is what I believe is referred to as "feathering") Unfortunately, even once in the metro area, my commute is anything but flat - rolling hills, some gradual some not so I can't always stay in electric for long.

My goal for this next tank is to pay more attention to the KW guage and try to keep it as low as possible when the ICE is active - below 50Kw if possible - we'll see how that works.

By the way - I have a base model with the option package but do not have access to the calculated mpg - have to rely on filling the tank to compute. I can do rough estimates in between based on miles traveled and the fuel guage but that is only for estimation purposes.

Last edited by Shiloh; 09-09-2005 at 07:23 AM. Reason: added comment re model

Quick Reply: Disappointing gas mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands