Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

sorry for one more question....but can you point me in the specific direction where I can find documentatin/proof that the invertor would be covered?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's in the warranty info that came with the vehicle, but you have to read it carefully. I hope you have it at a Toyota dealership, and have documentation of where you purchased it. There should be no question if you have the docs, and the inverter is an integral part of the hybrid system.

Are they trying to hassle you into paying for it yourself?

Pete

Old 11-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Update for everyone on my situation-- BAD NEWS ALL AROUND! Repair bill is still $9300. Toyota has graciously (yeah, right) agreed to contribute $2500 towards the repair. We're on the hook for the rest!

Feedback for those that think it's covered under CA emissions standard (ie extension of the warranty to 150,000 miles): IT'S NOT. That was wishful thinking. We've now been told that applies only to NO emissionsvehicles (or ?ultra low) but the Highlander is just plain 'low emissions'.

To add insult to injury (again and again) I'm now told that the new Invertor will only carry a 1-year warranty.

I still haven't heard back from anyone as to their outcomes. Please give us an update either on this public post or reply back to me privately. There hasn't been any discussion on this for months! What are we going to do, people? Are we all just eating this up and forgetting about it?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Engineering Professor

My advice is to point you at lower cost repair options via third party hybrid repair facilities that will be willing to use salvaged parts. Any one of the three:

can do a good job for significantly less cost and there are others as well (see http://www.hybridcars.com/service/pr...rid-shops.html ), but these three I know to have had good customer reports.

JeffD

Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by igaal
Update for everyone on my situation-- BAD NEWS ALL AROUND! Repair bill is still $9300. Toyota has graciously (yeah, right) agreed to contribute $2500 towards the repair. We're on the hook for the rest!

Feedback for those that think it's covered under CA emissions standard (ie extension of the warranty to 150,000 miles): IT'S NOT. That was wishful thinking. We've now been told that applies only to NO emissionsvehicles (or ?ultra low) but the Highlander is just plain 'low emissions'.

To add insult to injury (again and again) I'm now told that the new Invertor will only carry a 1-year warranty.

I still haven't heard back from anyone as to their outcomes. Please give us an update either on this public post or reply back to me privately. There hasn't been any discussion on this for months! What are we going to do, people? Are we all just eating this up and forgetting about it?
I'm very sorry to have gotten your hopes up about the inverter - I thought I had read that all essential hybrid components were covered, but it's only the traction battery in CA for 150,000 mi.

As I said before, if I were in your place I would raise the roof: $9300 for a 2.1 hr repair, and the ENTIRE hybrid surcharge of only $3500 on a new vehicle for a very extensive and complex system. It's clear that the original inverter used was under-spec'd and replaced by an adequate model.

Read the "Introduction" on the Toyota TSB in Don R's post below: "...An updated inverter/converter is available to correct this specific condition." This should have been a recall item in view of the sudden, total failure of propulsion, immobilizing the vehicle in often dangerous conditions.

Maybe it will take a class action suit....which would be another body blow to Toyota's image.

Pete

Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 PM
rcy
Enthusiast

I have a 2006 Lexus RX400h. The inverter was leaking coolant at 125000KM or so (September 2009) and was replaced under the hybrid warranty. See here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...=inverter&st=0 and be sure to read page two and look at the pics regarding another leak below the inverter, but still part of the inverter cooling system.

I'm sure if I hadn't caught the leak, it would have failed eventually. I know of a few other owners of the RX400h that have suffered complete failures much as some of you here. The new leak that I'm now experiencing will be diagnosed by Lexus on Dec. 27. That makes two owner's with a leak in the same place, aside from the leaking/failing inverters. Those of you with Highlander Hybrids may want to check this area on your own vehicles, as I believe the system in the Lexus and the Toyota are identical.

Last edited by rcy; 12-17-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

I just wanted to check back in and keep this discussion alive, even though I fought (and lost) my battle with Toyota who didn't stand by their product and stuck me with a bill for $6700. All this despite, so recently, paying lip service to how they care about safety and will "focus on 'safety design' and the principle of 'preventing any harm during the full vehicle life' ". Hmm. I guess vehicles are only supposed to last 100,000 miles. I want to reiterate on this discussion thread that I am still actively tracking all complainants who had inverter failure...especially those of you with over 100K miles. I now have a list of 11 people who have already emailed me with their contact information. I know there are many more out there, but I think many people either paid up and wanted to put this behind them or abandoned their not-fully-paid off cars. Only if we have a growing group of affected individuals that can band together can this go anywhere if someone takes up a legal action. So if anyone is reading this please contact me either by posting a reply or sending me a private message. Also, please know that there are 2 separate forums about this exact inverter failure topic on Green Hybrid as well as another on Edmunds.com forum. There may be others. Again feel free to contact me to share information...or just to get some suggestions or empathy. Paying that many thousands of $$ for a relatively new car really hurts.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

BTW...what happened to the TSB that was posted on this thread on 8/20/10...the one that explained about the VIN numbers...it seems to have disappeared for some reason!? Edit on 12/22...now I see the TSB is back up...weird...hope it stays up...it's a good reference for future victims of inverter failures.

Last edited by igaal; 12-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 AM
rcy
Enthusiast

I encourage those who have had a failed or leaking inverters to file a vehicle defect complaint at www.nhtsa.dot.gov They are the ones that can order a recall. A failed inverter at highway speed (or in motion at any speed really) is downright dangerous.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PineywoodsPete
Unfortunately, if your car was purchased outside of CA the 150,000 mile warranty doesn't apply if you moved to CA later, as I have.

But I would raise holy hell if I got the usual charge of $7-8,000 for the job out of warranty. Look at Don R's post two below yours, which has the TSB for inverter replacement under warranty. The last box "R & R Inverter....." gives labor time of 2.1 hours - in today's market about $250, which would leave the price for the inverter over $6750. I'll bet you could get a new engine for less.

Now think about it: the complete hybrid surcharge for the FWD '06 HiHy was $3500, as I recall. This included the inverter, inverter cooling system, two electric motors - one the large traction motor and smaller eCVT control motor - a 250#/288V-DC traction battery, a host of sensors feeding a complex hybrid management computer, nice upgraded wheels, and probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten. And they want twice that total for just the ****ed inverter???

If you are hit with that, raise Hell until it freezes over unless they drastically adjust it!!! They sure can't afford to have this type of bad price-goughing PR on top of the QC issues that keep piling up.

Pete
Ouch Pete, I have not looked at it in this point of view. I have an 06 with 126K miles, and the inverter wnet this weekend standing my family on a highway, 200 miles from home. USAA towed to my dealer to learn I have a 9K repair. I am in the process of abtainin an attorney, as well as messages to the NHTSA. I am two days into this problem and learning more, and it appears that unless I can seek council, I am stuck with the bill or a dead car. Other steps I will look into is to get out from under the toyota dealership, and find a local mechanic who can repair the hybrid. Maybe find a used part and uload this beast to Carmax.

Quick Reply: Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands