37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
If we try to drive a Prius like all the other cars, the results will be disappointing.
Might have been nice if Toyota advertised this little fact!

I don't drive any of my cars like a racing fool. I have considered myself very fuelish over the years but I guess not if I can't even get a fuel saving vehicle like the Prius to perform as advertised.

Last edited by Resist; 07-24-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Hybrid Newbie

Jesus Christ.....
Look at the things we do for our Prius.....

Old 07-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Originally Posted by Resist
Might have been nice if Toyota advertised this little fact! . . .
AMEN!!!!

It would have been trivial to include an MPG vs MPH chart and identify the 42 mph transition between hybrid mode and 'ICE-runs' mode. A simple warm-up chart would show the importance of slow speed, warm-up. A tire inflation pressure versus rolling drag chart would show the tradeoffs. All of these are right and proper entries in the Owner's Manual.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-25-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 AM
HypoFueler

I'm just mad that the Prius is rated so high and doesn't get anything close to what they advertise. Yea sure a select few with specialized driving styles can get that and more, but for most average consumers, 50 plus mpg is a dream.

I could have spent half the money on a new vehicle that gets close to what I am getting now. I didn't buy this car because of cleaner emissions, I only bought it for the superior fuel mileage. Yes I am not a tree hugger. I even got cheated on the full tax credit. That was another advertising scam, so don't get me going on that.

Unless things improve, I doubt I will be purchasing another Hybrid in the future.
I am pretty sure mpg advertised has to be that tested/published by the EPA, not the manufacturer.

The typical (median) mpg posted here by Prius drivers is above 47mpg and many of the 1000+ posted are getting 50mpg+.

Certainly, if driving with the flow means heavy acceleration/braking and highway speeds of 65mph+, then yes, FE will tend to be below 50mpg.

In the end, you are probably correct that an inexpensive non hybrid would probably give you the lowest total cost of ownership.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by minerval
Look at the things we do for our Prius.....
We're doing them for ourselves. The Prius is just a means to an end.<grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 07-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've wondered about this magical 10k barrier people keep speaking of. I've even heard that it was 5k in some other articles I've read.

I just bought an '07 Prius and I am getting great mileage so far [56mpg+; *knock on wood*] and I only have 186 miles on my car so far. I travel 28 miles per day, half downhill, half uphill, but not as extreme as above.

However, I just don't buy the 10k mile mark rumor. I think to an extent there is a break in period, but I think driving tactics have a greater impact.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 AM

I am not driving my Prius heavy footed. I've never been more fuel careful with any other vehicle and I still can't break 39-42 mpg averages. It's freaking rediculous! Doesn't matter that the EPA got those rating numbers, Toyota played them up big time in their advertising of the car. Toyota could have stepped up and told the consumers that if you drive the vehicle like any other normal car, you wouldn't get nothing like the advertised ratings. Instead they chose to mislead the public into thinking everyone can get high mpg numbers. Just like they misinformed us about the tax credit. I will NEVER buy another Toyota again!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 AM
HypoFueler

OK, maybe your Prius has some issue preventing it from getting higher FE.

I am sure that Toyota is not the only one advertising EPA numbers to drum up sales. Heck, even Jeep Patriot is supposed to do >30mpg. Of course you have to buy the stripped down 2wd 2.0L CVT MT model and drive it like the EPA does to get similar results.

Im sorry you are feeling burned by this.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I feel your pain. Have you verified your tire pressure is optimal and have you tried calculating your mileage by hand instead of using the MFD?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM

I have to wait 2.5 years just to get the vehicles advertised mileage? The outside temps here are in the 80's, so it takes less than 5 minutes for the engine to get warmed up. I have very few times were I get great mileage but for the most part my Prius is not living up to the hype. I keep my tire at pressures higher than normal, 44 front 42 rear. I have learned how to force it into EV mode and use that wisely yet still I can't get higher mileage. Right now my almost empty tank shows my average is only 39mpg, for over 200 miles. I don't see how anyone can even get more than the advertised mileage with this car and drive with the flow of traffic.
A/C usage? That could affect mileage.
Check your oil level, it might be a little too full.

I have my pressures at 38/36. Before this summer, I would regularly get 50-55mpg. I'm living in a hilly area (dunno if it's as hilly as yours but I'm up here in BC).

Hmm... just trying to think of what else to check... I mean if you want our help (and I think you do), we'll try our best to find the issue that's causing your low mpg!

What about test driving another Prius at the dealership (make sure it has the same wheels). It'll be new of course but see if it gives the same results (make sure you're keeping everything the same.. same A/C usage, same route and if possible, same weather conditions).

Or rent a Prius (which probably will have several thousand miles on it) and see if that gets the same mileage.

Quick Reply: 37 mpg and not happy, but I DO have a question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands