Any opinion on a 2001 Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any opinion on a 2001 Prius?

Hi Vortex,
I am new to the website. I am currently looking at a 2002 Prius Classic. 57,350 mi took it for a couple of spins arounf the block and up & down the highway. The dealer wants $14,990.
Any reservations on your part about making such a purchase? I have been reading the comments and it would seem that the 55 to 45 mpg is only attainable by very careful driving, drafting & gliding. I see where you have a 2002 with 230,000 miles. You must be satisfied with the performance and the economy. I am about to make the move. Any insiteful thoughs?
Monty01

Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

The price is about 800 bucks below book value which is reasonable but you might want to try to talk them down a grand or so. First off I am now at 263,000 miles and so far so good. I would take an extended test drive and make sure tires are at 44psi cold or higher. (Toyota's recommendation of somewhere in the 30's is way too low.) I generally run at about 50psi. I am easily getting 50mpg in mixed driving at 50 degrees fahrenheit. Fuel economy drops as the temps drop. This is true with all cars. Cruising around town at 30-40mph on a warm summer day with the ac off and the windows down, I easily get about 70mpg and have gotten up to 80mpg with very careful driving. 55mph on the highway in the summer has yielded me a solid 60mpg. So if you take an extended test drive and you get the appropriate fuel economy, you should definately make the purchase. Any more questions you can email me at seenuinoz@hotmail.com. Obviously if you are blasting the AC and driving 95mph, all bets are off. But even under those conditions, you will still do better than a regular corolla or civic.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Any opinion on a 2001 Prius?

Originally Posted by Monty01
. . .
I am new to the website. I am currently looking at a 2002 Prius Classic. 57,350 mi took it for a couple of spins arounf the block and up & down the highway. The dealer wants $14,990.
Any reservations on your part about making such a purchase? I have been reading the comments and it would seem that the 55 to 45 mpg is only attainable by very careful driving, drafting & gliding. I see where you have a 2002 with 230,000 miles. You must be satisfied with the performance and the economy. I am about to make the move. Any insiteful thoughs?
I have the same model, NHW11, 03 Prius and have been fairly happy. Along the way, I've been working on bringing the performance up and some of the results can be found here:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/

I would ask them to do the 60k mile transaxle oil change including dropping the pan, cleaning and refill. If you can get them to put in Type WS, you'll be way ahead of the game.

Are you a 'do it yourself' person or do you prefer to have the dealer or mechanics do everything?

Bob Wilson

Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi Monty, middle of the green hybrid mpg range is 44 or 45, and it's probably fair to say above that is where a bit more skill, care and tricks are required. Consistently getting 50 mpg or better is quite an accomplishment in the classic Prius.

On the car purchase I would want to know its history.
First, that the routine maint was regularly done,
second the 'required specials': battery resealing and knock sensor,
third any of the common extras like engine control module or steering.

Being just below 60k miles is a good thing I think because some original coverage runs out then. Or maybe you are already out because of time. Guess I dunno.

Dang, vortex, 257k miles! Lotta time in the saddle

DAS

Old 12-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

Jason, DAS
I'm not sure if you are getting the emails. I have some new information. I reviewed the maintenance history and it looks like the standard maintenance has been performed (oil changes, fluid changes, inspections,). The 2 service bulletins (TSB) that you or someone in the forum, menitoned the (knock sensor - the maintenance history shows the crankshaft position sensor having been replaced and the HV Battery Modification (none of the sales persons could tell me if the the Battery Mod = the battery reseal).
One of the ECUs was replaced - don't remember which (computer was replaced). After I left the salesman informed me that the $14,990 price was reduced to $13,990. Just don't know.
I have read in the forum that the Honda Civic Hybrid has been having HV battery issues at the expense of the consumer, not replacing a battery that looses its charge. Have you or anyone else heard anything about the Honda Civic battery issues?
Monty

Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi Monty, all you report about the 2001 Prius sounds favorable to me. Almost certainly Battery Mod = the battery reseal. It also has a name SSC 40G and there should be a sticker saying that in the driver's doorframe towards the 'open-limiting strap' in front.

On the Honda Civic hybrid, suggest you check in at the HCH group here and ask them for experiences.

DAS

Old 12-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

DAS,

Interesting that is how they mark the car to identify it as having the mod done. I have an 02 and I need to pull the car out of the garage to check if I have that sticker. I hope I do, other wise I suppose I need to take the car in.

Before I get all depressed in case I dont see the sticker, let me ask if others who have had the mod done to see if they have the sticker placed.

I know on my HAH, they put a punch mark over certain letters of the vin tag under the hood.

Thanks for the info

Tony

Old 09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vortex57
First off I am now at 263,000 miles and so far so good.

I wonder what his mileage is up to now?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Any opinion on a 2001 Prius?

Originally Posted by bar10dah

I wonder what his mileage is up to now?
Just a guess but I suspect on the high side of 318k miles:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/nehg-0826/

Bob Wilson

Old 09-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have just hit 321,000 miles. So far so good. Same batteries. Pic coming soon.

Quick Reply: Any opinion on a 2001 Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands