Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Bluetooth in Prius only good for phones? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/bluetooth-prius-only-good-phones-816/)

mharper1981 08-20-2004 02:24 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am curious if anyone has had any luck using bluetooth devices other than phones with their prius. I can't find any info about this anywhere. Bluetooth mp3 players are becoming available and I would absolutely love it if I could stream audio from the player to the car. If not, oh well, I'll deal with the wires.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is a great site.

Michael

Jason 08-20-2004 02:59 PM

Hi, and welcome.
As far as we know, only [some] BlueTooth phones work with the Prius; not other devices. Sorry! Depending on what MP3 player you have, you could always try an FM transmitter that's wireless. I know iPods have them.

mharper1981 08-21-2004 07:51 AM

Yeah, it's looking like I'll be going the route of the FM transmitter or the traditional car kit. I was just hanging on to my hope that I could do it without losing audio quality. Thanks for the help.

Jason 08-21-2004 08:25 AM

Costal Dave (can't find his website at the moment) apparently hacked the system and was able to install an audio in plug. He's selling it online?

sampratt 08-29-2005 07:13 AM

Re: Bluetooth in Prius only good for phones?

I was able to get my bluetooth equipped laptop (Mac G4 Powerbook) and the Prius to "see" each other, but there was no way that I could find to transmit a code from the Mac to the Prius to authorize transmissions. If I were more of a hacker, I'm sure this could be done... It would be nice to upload addresses from my Mac into the car.

AndyTiedye 09-29-2005 01:24 AM

I got my ROKR to work with it as a phone, but no bluetooth joy from the iPod side of it.
Computers can usually talk to cellphone handsfree kits for VoIP, so a laptop might be able to send music to it.
I need to try that tomorrow ;-)

MUGlover 10-04-2005 09:11 AM

No offense to GreenHybrid but check other Prius forums for a method of using a laptop to communicate with the Prius. It's not impossible but it's not unlimited in what it can do.

Also, on the comment about Coastal Dave, his solution is not shipping. Others have ordered and received VAIS Technologies' AIC-100i. Mine has not arrived yet but I am confident I will be able to install it myself. Prices vary and groups have purchased this item collectively.

It does allow for iPod control from the Prius screen if you have playlists pre-assembled. Each playlist is like a CD to the screen, and switching away from the audio mode in which you play the iPod (to AM radio and on through the progression we all have) will pause the iPod. All you can do on the iPod is see the "OK to disconnect" screen, unless you really want to control the iPod manually (not while driving, please).

Abby 08-27-2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mharper1981 (Post 4802)
Yeah, it's looking like I'll be going the route of the FM transmitter or the traditional car kit. I was just hanging on to my hope that I could do it without losing audio quality. Thanks for the help.

No need for an FM transmitter. You should have an Aux jack in the center console I use this for my iPod. All you need is a 3.5mm cable and this plugs into the headphone part and then into Aux jack. Great sound through the system!

centrider 09-03-2008 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Abby (Post 185694)
No need for an FM transmitter. You should have an Aux jack in the center console I use this for my iPod. All you need is a 3.5mm cable and this plugs into the headphone part and then into Aux jack. Great sound through the system!

I think from '06 (mine) the Aux jack is installed.

As to the bluetooth phone connection, it is pretty random. This year, after successfully installing my phone (LG, Verizon) and always seeing, Bluetooth connection failed. I just gave up on it. . . until this June. We were approaching St. Francis, Ks when I received a call - yes - the bluetooth connection worked! Since than the connection sometimes failed (usually) or is occasionally successful.

Ah, the cosmologist's dream, or perhaps nightmare - a random universe in the Prius bluetooth connection.

David Beale 09-04-2008 09:47 AM

The Prius bluetooth is intended for use with a cell phone. It's mono. The IPOD bluetooth is two channel (stereo), which is a little different. It's intended for use with Bluetooth headphones. Even if you could get the IPOD to connect to the Prius, you'd only get one channel. Just use the aux. connector in the console. You'll need a cable, which I'm told you can get at Radio Shack.

Pearl works well with a Nokia 6310i (older GSM phone), a Nokia 6275i, and an LG150 (both CDMA Virgin phones). She connects every time (even when I get out to open the garage door and then get back in). I haven't tried transferring the phone book, which is what many have trouble with.