Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Does Prius have LRR Tires? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/does-prius-have-lrr-tires-4125/)

sasparilla 10-13-2005 07:29 AM

Does Prius have LRR Tires?

This is just a curiosity question. Does the current generation Prius come with Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires?

Honda always mentioned their LRR tires for the Civic Hybrid or the Insight, but I haven't been able to find any mention of them on the Prius, in Toyota's website or their little Dealer/Consumer pamphlet for the car.

Anybody know?

EricGo 10-13-2005 07:50 AM

Re: Does Prius have LRR Tires?

Prius I yes, Prius II no.

sasparilla 10-13-2005 08:01 AM

I wonder what LRR tires would give (in additional mileage) to the 2nd generation Prius?

Anyone equipped their 2nd Gen Prius with them to see?

FBCinvestor 10-13-2005 10:05 AM

I have a Prius I. When the factory tires wore out I just got my new tires at Costco. Should I be using specialty tires for improved mileage?

Tochatihu 10-13-2005 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by sasparilla
I wonder what LRR tires would give (in additional mileage) to the 2nd generation Prius?

Anyone equipped their 2nd Gen Prius with them to see?

Some of the Michelins and Nokians are LRR, for example the ones I am shamelessly promoting in "the marketplace".

I have ordered Nokian i3 for 2001 Prius. My current tires are not LRR, so there is the possibility for a small mpg improvement. We'll see.

DAS

jdenenberg 10-14-2005 08:12 AM

I have a 2004 Prius with 43,000 miles (46 mpg) and am about to replace the OEMs (yes, the GYs still have some tread left, but not enough for winter driving) with Michelin MXV4+ LRR tires (about $110/tire) this November. I'll report back with preliminary results some time in December.

sasparilla 10-14-2005 08:20 AM

That would be very cool Jeff.

jdenenberg 09-30-2006 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All,

I now have 23,000 miles on my Michelin MXV4+ "Energy Saving" tires and they do indeed improve MPG slightly (compared to the OEM Goodyear Integrity Tires). I run them at 42/40 PSI. The handling and traction (wet and dry) are also noticably better.

They are wearing well and look like they'll go about 60,000 miles before needing replacement (I got 45,000 out of my Integrity tires).

I've attached a spreadsheet showing my 68,000 miles of Prius MPG experience.

JeffD

BeechSportBill 07-14-2007 12:53 PM

Hi all -

For what it may be worth: There was a link to a study on Low Rolling Resistance tires:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005...olling_res.php

But it doesn't work now.

I also see it was referenced somewhere else here and on many other sites.

Does anybody have it downloaded?

Bill in Milton-Freewater

Resist 07-16-2007 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by FBCinvestor (Post 29206)
I have a Prius I. When the factory tires wore out I just got my new tires at Costco. Should I be using specialty tires for improved mileage?

Yes. The Prius I and Honda Insight use LRR tires, which have a stiffer side walls reducing the amount of tire bulge. Tire bulge reduces mileage.