Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned
Default Re: Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

OK, I now see what you are referring to. I kinda feel dumb because I thought you were originally stating that the HCH was able to run coast to coast with super low emmisions. I now see that you were reffering to the Honda GX which uses natural gas. That makes more sense, but it is indeed still very impressive. I guess I have to learn to read more carefully. lol

Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just fill slowly, but I only let it go to the first click. Topping up tempts the bladder gremlins, and spilled gasoline looks bad when it comes time to enter a new tank. I've been going 10 days on $16 fills lately so there's not much incentive to put effort into extra tank capacity.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Banned

One click is all I go. I learned years ago not to be tempted to get that last couple of drops in the tank!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

When I was younger and less wise, I used to overfill and I destroyed my evap recirc system. I have now learned to fill it only to the first click, but I always set the pump on high. Cant see how going slower would matter that much unless your filler neck is poorly designed, and there are indeed some vehicles that have that problem. I once drove a rental that would not allow more than 50% in the tank before the backpressure built up and shut off the pump. Rental car guy said this was a known issue. Not sure which car it was, but I believe it was a toyota or a Mazda.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 AM
Banned

OMG I filled up yesterday and while pumping was talking to a buddy of mine, and forgot the pump. I spilled almost 5 gallons before it was noticed. The fire department showed up and was able to soak up the fuel, but not before I was cited by the police.

I guess that I should have paid better attention when I was filling up. Now I have to get in the courts building and figure out what I have to pay.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
...Rental car guy said this was a known issue. Not sure which car it was, but I believe it was a toyota or a Mazda.
I rent a lot of cars. It's the Ford Taurus.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Banned

I had 2 Ford Taurus's and never had this problem. The car I was referring to was definitely from Toyota or Mazda or Mitsubishi. I just dont remember which one. I remember that the rental was up in San Jose though, because I drove to 2 different gas stations and tried 4 pumps, and they all shut off at 50% of tank capacity.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

...And by the way, the rental agencies LOVE this feature. It allows them to gouge you for the fuel that you don't replace.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

Nope they gave me $20 off the rental when I told them of my difficulties.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bparsons
OMG I filled up yesterday and while pumping was talking to a buddy of mine, and forgot the pump. I spilled almost 5 gallons before it was noticed. The fire department showed up and was able to soak up the fuel, but not before I was cited by the police.

I guess that I should have paid better attention when I was filling up. Now I have to get in the courts building and figure out what I have to pay.
Wha? How is that even possible? Was the fuel pump broken? Sounds to me like the owner of the filling station has some 'splanin to do as to why his equipment doesn't function.

Quick Reply: Filling Up - Do You Top Off?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands