Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   I Pass transponder question (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/i-pass-transponder-question-4802/)

Eastlake 12-01-2005 01:28 PM

I Pass transponder question

Can I stick the I Pass transponder behind the metalized patch on my 05 Package 4 Prius windshield? The I Pass instructions want the transponder mounted centrally, should I move it to the side away from the metalized zone?

Thanks in advance Robert.

jdenenberg 12-01-2005 03:08 PM

Re: I Pass transponder question

Mine (2004 Prius, EZpass - same thing) is mounted below the rear view mirror bracket and works fine. It doesn't block vision as it is behind the mirror itself.

JeffD

howard0944 12-01-2005 05:16 PM

I have mine on top of the display console.

Eastlake 12-01-2005 09:25 PM

Oops, on further examination I see that the coating is tinting to prevent glare around the rear view mirror! No problem for the I Pass!

DHonzik 12-03-2005 05:20 AM

One thing to keep in mind using IPASS or whatever electronic toll gathering devices, besides collecting your toll it puts on a time stamp on when the toll was collected. Say you pass toll booth 1 at 2pm and passed toll booth 2 at 2:15pm and the distance was 20 miles, hence you were travelling at 80 mph. Can law enforcement in conjunction with the toll authority issue you a speeding ticket based on your IPASS records?:omg:

jdenenberg 12-03-2005 05:30 AM

Dan,

New Jersey actually gave out tickets by this mechanism a few years ago. EZpass use quickly went to zero. The governor (since resigned in disgace, but for a different reason) ordered a permanent stop to this misuse of the system and it took two years of PR to get useage back up to normal.

JeffD

ps: I live in Connecticut; I would be embarassed to live in NJ given its politics (even though my daughter lives there)

howard0944 12-03-2005 08:07 PM

I haven't heard of that happening, but I guess anything is possible. Since speeding is a waste of fuel, its probably pointless on this forum to worry about it :)
But I save a considerable amount of commuting time by using it, since I use a toll road to go to work.

abowles 12-04-2005 08:57 AM

I agree with you howard0944. Besides, if I obey the law (whether I agree with it or not) I have nothing to be concerned about.