Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   iPod in a Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/ipod-prius-2407/)

dtrinis 05-29-2005 03:54 AM

iPod in a Prius

Anyone here know of a fairly inexpensive way to hook up a 20GB iPod to the audio system in a 2005 Prius?

Schwa 05-29-2005 04:46 AM

Re: iPod in a Prius

If you have the JBL 9 speaker system with the amp under the passenger seat, then there's a way to have the sound fed into the amplifier, and the volume (and other audio) control will still work. That's a minimal "hack" to get the sound into the car, but it doesn't interface the iPod with the screen in any way.

Otherwise there's always the casette adaptor, or the FM transmitter if that suits you, but I wouldn't recommend FM since there's a considerable drop in fidelity.

mcprius 05-29-2005 04:29 PM

Yeah, the cassette adapter is the best, easiest, and cheapest way. Pick one up at Best Buy for $15 or $20 and your home free. As Schwa said the quality is higher through the casette than through FM or the cigarette lighter. There's a $600+ after market product (try Google) if you want the iPod integrated through the Navigator, but I find the nice slot behind the cup holder cover (when it's in the closed position) is perfect for holding the iPod; and this brings the controls as close as the Navi screen. Just don't stop suddenly or the iPod flies to the floor.

dtrinis 05-30-2005 04:10 AM

That would be great but I don't have a cassette player.

Schwa 05-31-2005 08:04 PM

If you don't have a tape deck (BUMMER!) then the FM transmitter is about the only way. A lot of people use this solution, but personally I would not find is acceptable due to the slight loss of fidelity involved in FM.

Red_The_Impaler 06-03-2005 11:27 AM

I was wondering how to do it also, but I guess I'll just stick to my cd's because the loss in quality in the conversion to MP3 is bad enough, but to double it by going through the FM station would be a slow painful death.

dtrinis 06-04-2005 02:45 AM

Having checked this out for some time, I'm investing in a IPod2Car system since our Prius doesn't have a cassette. I am told that the sound will be like a CD and can be controlled from the steering wheel. THanks for all you thoughts.

finman 06-13-2005 09:07 AM

Coastaletech.com just posted their iPod interface for the Prius. It may be ready in July. FULL control via touchscreen! looks very promising. 'Till it's actually available, I've heard good things about the iPod2car interface. At least the steering controls would work.