Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Options - which to buy (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/options-buy-1782/)

shivan 04-05-2005 06:34 PM

Options - which to buy

Hi... I am thinking about buying a Prius.
My local dealer only offers it with 3 package options. I really would like the navigation system but not neccessarily all the other stuff you have to buy with it.

Is there any dealers out there that offer individual items instead of packages? And the Navigation system by itself?

I'm leaning towards just getting the minimum package because I'm not sure how much I would use the navigation system.
Any of you that did purchase the max package... Was it worth the extra money? Do you get use of the additional features?

Jason 04-05-2005 06:40 PM

Re: Options - which to buy

I don't beleive I've ever heard of the Nav being sold without a load of other options. I can personally tell you that Smart Entry & Start is an amazing feature that I can't live without, anymore!

Paying extra for a package is a matter of individual opinion, of course. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Do you need safety features? Do you need convenience features? Fun features?

EricGo 04-05-2005 07:49 PM

Look into aftermarket GPS solutions that tie into the MFD, or as a second best, standalone displays. (coastaletech is a good place to start). If you find something that satisfies you, the available option packages will be less restricting. Also, keep in mind that GPS is hot these days, and more solutions are likely to come to market.

I side with Jason in giving a really big thumbs up to SmartEntry/Start. I also personally made VSC and multiple airbags a mandatory buy. The rest of the options on my full featured Prius don't really knock my socks off. People wed to their bluetooth phones may feel differently :-)

Jason 04-05-2005 07:51 PM

Actually the Bluetooth integration had to have been an afterthought. It's awful.

shivan, this may be a help.

shivan 04-06-2005 09:16 AM

Jason,

I read both your reviews before posting. I thought they were great :)
Actually my dealer says there are only 3 ways that toyota is shipping cars to them. Their "Base" has the smart start, all the air bags, The mats, The bumber Applique and the security upgrade. That one is $23015.00.

Then if you add the HID headlamps, fog lights and Vehicle Stability Control, that is $23990.00.

Finally, everything else is in the third package which they sell for $26896.00

I also will have to wait 3 weeks for delivery if I want a blue one since they only have a green and tan one in stock. I'm debating whether or not I should shop around at other dealers. This one is local so servicing will be convenient, but the limited choices is a little odd.

I agree about the GPS technology will only get better as more people demand it. And 90% of my driving will be in places I know pretty well.

Jason 04-06-2005 10:47 AM

I think Toyota misled you a small bit. $23,015 is not the base price of the car. It seems Toyota is selling all their Prius with additional packages because there's so much demand, it doesn't matter what they pack on. If I remember correctly, there were 6-9 official packages when the Prius first came out.

JeromeP 04-06-2005 03:19 PM

There are 6 package offerings in the U.S. this year. All of them can be referenced either by package number of package code. The brochure refers to them by number and code. People all over these posting boards will disagree about which is clearer to refer to packages with, but I stick with the numbers because it is easier for me to reference to and remember. Those who prefer to reference the code stick to it because the codes that survived from the 2004 model year to the 2005 model year are the same.

shivan, If your dealer is only offering 3 packages, and then also including floor mats and bumper appliqués you are being misled. The bumper appliqué and floor mats are extras, not part of any regular packages. Those extras are profit items for the dealer. Since there are 6 packages available and you are only being offered 3 you are missing out on the other 3 as ones you might be interested in.

All dealers have access to all packages, however individual distribution regions choose to order in quantity for general lot stock only some of all of the packages available. Some dealers are taking preorders which aren't really orders at all, but rather lists of customers who have indicated interest, and as colors and packages come in they call those customers to arrange sale. What is tragic about this process is they lie to customers about the available packages and get them pigeon holed into what they are getting in their regular shipments so they don't have to go out and find what you want. Other, more reputable dealers accept the regions lot stock and will sell to those that want what is coming onto the lot, but will go out and find the package and colors you want in manufacturing or transit and secure it for delivery to their dealership for your purchase.

Where do you live? I might be able to advise you to a good dealer I had a positive experience with.

shivan 04-06-2005 04:01 PM

I live in Northern California.
We only have 2 dealers within 10 miles of my house. The one I didn't go to, I have had bad experiences with. Why is it that dealers perpetuate the perception the public has of the car salesman? It would be so much better for them if they would foster a feeling of trust.
I thought there was something fishy since I had more options directly from Toyota via their web page. Is there a drawback to directly ordering through their website? I have my own financing so I don't really need the dealer right?
I'm going to Marin county on Saturday so I was thinking of stopping at the Novato Toyota Dealer.

EricGo 04-06-2005 04:25 PM

Shivan, the "The mats, The bumber Applique and the security upgrade" are dealer add-ons for their additional profit. Some are added at port, others in the dealer's lot. Either way, an honest dealer would have given you a choice.

NorCal *does* have some decent dealers. You may want to post in the Prius 2G yahoo group to get recommendations, since it is still quite a bit larger than GreenHybrid.

As for package selection, find out if SoCal routinely gets the package you want. If not, you will have to find a 'motivated' dealer, which translates into more money out of your pocket at this time, since dealers are still moving Prius without much diffuculty. Diane Whitmire at Carson Toyota in LA has advertised in the 2G group that she is willing to track down the package of your choice, so I know it is at least possible. I unfortunately cannot recommend Carson, ever since they tarnished what had been a stirling reputation in the Prius community by playing bait & switch at the height of the Prius shortage by offering msrp through the internet, but shunting their cars to the 'dealer floor' with 4K markups.

JeromeP 04-06-2005 04:45 PM

Well, it would be a very long drive for you to come up here and purchase, and even then there would be other headaches to purchasing out of state.

I did not purchase in my locality when I made the choice. I drove 110 miles to a smaller city with a nicer dealer to make my purchase. I was treated well and no outrageous clams were made by the selling dealer regarding the vehicle's performance or stinky bundles of profit padded items, such as floor mats or bumper appliqués. I ordered a package that is not part of normal lot distribution in the PNW region, that would be package 5, the one right below package 6. My wait time was only about 3 weeks and delivery was smooth and easy. I got exactly my package, in the exact color I wanted. I financed through Toyota Financial and I feel I got a competitive rate, especially for a vehicle with no incentives or deals because of demand. They even dropped the price of the 7/75000 Platinum extended warranty down quite a bit to nearly the price that is offered through a dealer through the priuschat website.

Shop around, you are not forced in dealing with dealers in your locality. You are the one with the money. If you want to deal with your local dealer, go in there, tell him how you are going to purchase it, and if they don't accommodate, you walk. They apparently don't deserve your business.