Prius 2005 mileage disappointing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does anyone know about 2004 Prius? Re: Prius 2005 mileage disappointing

I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Prius Hy for $8,500. 53,000 miles.
what kind of mileage should i get with a car this old?
Will the battery or other things be expensive to repair? & when will i need a battery?
Should i make sure the recall has been fixed?
Thanks for any info you might give me. I'm a newbie to the hybrid world.
but want to be Greener.
Has anyone hooked up a drive on water kit for better mileage & can it be done on the hybrid? was the gas mileage better?
thanks
Joanna

Old 06-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Does anyone know about 2004 Prius? Re: Prius 2005 mileage disappointing

Originally Posted by joey
I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Prius Hy for $8,500. 53,000 miles.
what kind of mileage should i get with a car this old?
My 2004 with 178,500 miles gets better MPG today than it did when new (about 46 MPG)
Will the battery or other things be expensive to repair? & when will i need a battery?
I'm still using the original traction battery, they are quite reliable. Refurbished HV batteries are available for about $1500
Should i make sure the recall has been fixed?
Yes, get the CarFax for this car and make sure that it is NOT a salvaged car so that the original hybrid warranty is still valid
Thanks for any info you might give me. I'm a newbie to the hybrid world.
but want to be Greener.
Has anyone hooked up a drive on water kit for better mileage & can it be done on the hybrid? was the gas mileage better?
These "Water" units are a fraud as are most advertised systems to increase MPG. One thing that does help MPG is Low Rolling Resistance tires.
thanks
Joanna

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius 2005 mileage disappointing

Thank you so much!
It is a salvaged car. He says he has fotos n it was just the bumper n wheel rim. but being salvaged means it has no warranties even thou it only has 53,000 miles.
it is a 04 toyota Prius for $8500. Seem like a heck of a deal compared to the other prices i've seen. Maybe i should offer something much lower?

so.. bottom line. should i not buy a salvaged car? or if the prius lives up to what it is, could i take my chances? or am i asking for trouble.
wish you were here. thanks so much for any who answer. Joanna (newbie & i hate buying cars)

Old 06-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by joey
Thank you so much!
It is a salvaged car. He says he has fotos n it was just the bumper n wheel rim. but being salvaged means it has no warranties even thou it only has 53,000 miles.
it is a 04 toyota Prius for $8500. Seem like a heck of a deal compared to the other prices i've seen. Maybe i should offer something much lower?

so.. bottom line. should i not buy a salvaged car? or if the prius lives up to what it is, could i take my chances? or am i asking for trouble.
Salvaged cars, especially a high tech car like a Prius, need a very knowledgeable mechanic to get and keep it running right. There have been some successful rebuilds of salvaged Prii, but also some costly cases. There is a great mechanic just south of Indianapolis http://www.autobeyours.com if you are in the Midwest (he is also a source for salvaged Prius parts). Unless you can get support at that level, walk away from a salvaged Prius.
Good luck,

JeffD
wish you were here. thanks so much for any who answer. Joanna (newbie & i hate buying cars)

Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Jeff & how wise your are. I just got off the phone with my mechanic in OR. He said a SALVAGED car has a branded title & you can't even buy insurance for them (maybe just liablity).
Wish I was close to Indianapolis. I'm in TX right now. Your mechanic sounds great. My mechanic said the benefits of great gas mileage might not out weigh the repairs of the used hybrid. The hybrid seems like such a great consicous choice because of the gas mileage & low emissions. But i also have to consider economics for myself being on a major budget now.
If i could afford a brand new one, i think it would be a win win.
Thanks again. So happy to find such great comments on this site. What a wonderful resource! Joanna