racing prius??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wayne,
It is rediculous...and a simple part change (err, w/ the 5 speed or the HX trim) to put in the higher final drive ratio. Why, when I begine a car company....(cues dreamy aura and cheesy music)...chasis will have a wealth of options if the parts fit. Why, say I was selling the Fit/Jazz, the 1.3 and 1.5 would be available as options...including a short final drive (faster off line) and a steep final drive(better milage)...oh, yah...its just a dream...and it wont happen. The problem with a corparate structure like that is that every car would have to be built by hand...and the prices would be higher in concequince.
Cheers,
Steven

Oh, no prob about the acronym thing...I dont think TB is that well known. And yes...just as you planned...you lost me with all of those (err, i know that ICE is Internal Combustion Engine...i just dont know SI)

Old 07-03-2004, 11:24 AM

Hi Steve:

___SI is spark ignited unlike a diesel

___As for the Fit/Jazz/City and running the taller final and fifth gear ratios, Honda is trying to differentiate the Fit from the Civic even though interior volume wise, they are almost identical. The way Honda can do this without any trouble is by using the 85 HP i-DSI from the Hybrid as they do overseas but add lean-burn for us hyper milers. It would have a 0 - 60 time of around 11.5 seconds (much slower then the std. Civic but faster then the HCH given the 400 # diet) yet receive at least an EPA rated 53 mpg highway and possibly 43 in the city. They can SULEV/PZEV it without much trouble either given the HCH’s ICE comes equipped that way in Ca. and elsewhere already. And all for a price everyone could afford ($10 - $13K out the door) brand new!

___And Toyota with the Atkinsonized PZEV ICE in the Echo. Maybe do the same to the Corolla w/ a stick. In other words, atkinsonize/PZEV the 1.8 L it (the 05 Corolla) comes equipped with. Everyone would receive better mileage, reduce total emissions, at least match the performance of the Hybrid’s, and at a cost everyone could afford! This would help reduce the US’ driving public’s environmental impact and our oil dependency problem much faster then a < 100,000 boutique Hybrid’s at their current out the door pricing. This shouldn’t cost the manufacturers/consumers but a few hundred $’s for the SULEV/PZEV HW per automobile. Or simply leave the PZEV HW off and sell them at their current pricing with the LEV/ULEV ratings as they are currently sold.

___I will get off my anti-hybrid soapbox now

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

There are actually advantages to using a hybrid for racing if you can get the power and also reduce fuel useage. It would reduce pit stops and and that alone would be huge. If you can eliminate one pit stop during a race then you just saved like 1 minute or so.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:20 PM

Hi RationalRevolution:

___When the article first appeared a few months ago, the Toyota commentary went something along the lines that after just 2 laps, the pack was toast. In other words, the HSD acted like a 200 # + boat anchor so no, it wouldn’t help on the track in the least. Drag racing, sure with a much larger pack and much higher capacity MG-sets to propel the 2,900 # monster but not over any kind of distance racing.

___And to add to the thread, there are quite a few Insight 5-speed Autocrosser’s. The packs don’t help but they are small enough to not get in the way also. You can read about Guillermo, Hambone, and Opal’s Insight Autocross experiences here.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What if... the Prius drivetrain were put into the Insight?

Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 PM

Hi Flare:

___It can’t and even if it did, a stick is the answer for Autocrossing as you need all the control you can get from the ICE for acceleration and deceleration purposes.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 07-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

hrm... how do people go about making the shape of custom cars? i saw a lot of modifications to body shape on TV... i was wondering if I myself could do something like that...

then if i had the resources... i could find a salvaged classic prius and build the exterior around the components