Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Redesign of Prius , What year (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/redesign-prius-what-year-19981/)

scubasid 10-06-2008 08:47 AM

Redesign of Prius , What year

I have heard that they are redesigning the Pius, not a major make over, but slightly larger engine and a minor increase in MPG among a few other things.

Any one know of this ,
When they will becoming to US Market ?
Spring of 09' ?

I have heard of the Plug In coming soon as well and would prefer not to get the first year or two of that type till potential bugs come out.

Any links to read up on would be great.

David Beale 10-06-2008 01:06 PM

Re: Redesign of Prius , What year

The update is the 2010 model, due out in spring 2009. It will be shown at auto shows in a month or two. I think they said they would first show it in Detroit.

Go over to Priuschat and you will find "spy shots" of a highly disguised 2010 Prius (the posters think).

The exact details haven't been officially released just yet, but various sources claim a 1700 cc engine, an 1800 cc engine, more power, better mileage. Still using NiMH batteries. LiION to follow in a year or two (exact quote from Toyota is "when it's ready"). Plug-in will be available next year to lease for "fleets". It will use a double pack NiMH battery.

wwest 10-14-2008 09:00 AM

Re: Redesign of Prius , What year

I keep hoping the new Prius will be a crossbreed between the Toyota A-BAT concept and the Toyota Hybrid-X concept.

And it would be really nice if it had CNG capability as an option.

And even better with a smaller "boxer" 4 cylinder using the Atkinson/Miller/West engine control method.

And more SAFE RWD.....

RWD would not over provide a SAFER ride, but would also provide greater/more opportunities for FREE energy recovery via regenerative braking. No need to disable regen braking on a slippery surface or severely reduce it with an OAT declining toward freezing.