Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Storing a Prius--Effect on Battery (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/storing-prius-effect-battery-13606/)

Newbuyer 05-18-2007 08:59 AM

Storing a Prius--Effect on Battery

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Prius but have one concern. I will need to store the car in an unheated garage for 4-5 months every winter. During that time, the car won't be used or started at all. I am wondering what effect that will have on the battery. Has anyone done this?

Many thanks,

Newbuyer

Delta Flyer 05-18-2007 09:02 AM

Re: Storing a Prius--Effect on Battery

Partial answer: the trickle current the car radio, clock, etc needs will be from the 12-volt battery - the hybrid battery pack only propels the Prius.

How long does the Prius battery pack hold it's charge? Hope someone can help on that soon.

Newbuyer 05-18-2007 11:03 AM

thanks!!

Patrick Wong 05-18-2007 10:47 PM

Toyota TSB PG007-03 suggests that a stored Prius should be placed in "READY" mode for 30 minutes every two months to charge the hybrid system traction battery and the 12V auxiliary battery. In addition, when the Prius is stored for more than 10 days at a time, Toyota suggests that the 12V auxiliary battery be disconnected to prevent parasitic drain.

If the traction battery has discharged, it will be necessary to have your car towed to the dealer, and you will have to wait until the dealer can get hold of the special charger used to charge the traction battery. Apparently Toyota only has one of these chargers per sales region.

If you must leave your car unattended for 4-5 months in the winter, a Toyota hybrid is not the right choice for you.

Patrick Wong

Newbuyer 05-19-2007 10:45 AM

Thanks Patrick,

Your reply was really helpful. Much appreciated...

owlmaster08 05-19-2007 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Wong (Post 125483)
If you must leave your car unattended for 4-5 months in the winter, a Toyota hybrid is not the right choice for you.

My '07 HCH has a warning on the trunk to run it at least once a month, for at least half an hour, I think.

This is the nature of batteries, I'm afraid.