Who does their own Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Who does their own Maintenance?

I want to change the oil in my transaxle to type W. I had a quick look and found the pan with the drain plug in it. Okay so I figured out how to get the oil out but how do you get it in? Also where is the transaxle breather hose? Are there any pictures on the web somewhere?

I have changed transmission oil in other cars and done things like replace a leaking inlet manifold gasket, so I am somewhat comfortable working on cars though the high voltage stuff makes me a bit weary, presumably I do not have to mess with that.

thanks Graham

Old 03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Most likely have to use an oil pump, there should be another plug.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Is Toyota the only source for a Prius shop manual?

My policy on do-it-yourself is that I do it myself whenever I feel comfortable doing it. Oil changes are no-brainers, and I do those on all my vehicles.

I adjust the valves on my Civics and my BMW motorcycle. With some help from a shop manual, those are not difficult to do, and are actually fairly easy ways to save $$'s, and the hassle of driving loaner cars/bikes, since valves have to be adjusted on cold motors.

I save money where I can on maintenance by doing things myself, and then I don't feel too bad when I choose to have the dealer do things I can't or won't do.

Harry

Last edited by Earthling; 03-30-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by GrahamC
I want to change the oil in my transaxle to type W. I had a quick look and found the pan with the drain plug in it. Okay so I figured out how to get the oil out but how do you get it in? Also where is the transaxle breather hose? Are there any pictures on the web somewhere?

I have changed transmission oil in other cars and done things like replace a leaking inlet manifold gasket, so I am somewhat comfortable working on cars though the high voltage stuff makes me a bit weary, presumably I do not have to mess with that.
Try this link and scroll down a bit:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

Bob Wilson

Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

Bob,
Thanks for info it answers how to do it. I have 7 qts of Amsoil universal automatic transmission fluid. Would you recommend using that or buying the w type. The Prius has 153K miles on it and I do not know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I do not plan on getting the oil analysed.
Graham

Old 03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

Originally Posted by GrahamC
Thanks for info it answers how to do it. I have 7 qts of Amsoil universal automatic transmission fluid. Would you recommend using that or buying the w type. The Prius has 153K miles on it and I do not know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I do not plan on getting the oil analysed.
I'd recommend going with the Amsoil for now because the Type WS testing is still in progress. You'll get a couple of good years with the Amsoil ATF anyway.

The critical items are:
  • get a new gasket for the pan (avoid reuse and potential leaks)
  • capture a sample even if you don't analyze it (you can decide later)
  • drop the pan and wipe everything clean, put the magnet back
  • take photos
You'll need a long funnel or tube to put on an ordinary funnel. Take your time and it is not a big deal. Also, consider the age of your inverter coolant and decide if you want to replace it at the same time. Bleeding the inverter coolant loop is a 'pain' but doable.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson