Website Questions & Input Suggestions and inquiries about Electric Vehicle Forums are welcome here.

MixedPower.com taking articles from Greenhybrid.com

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned
Default MixedPower.com taking articles from Greenhybrid.com

The owner Jason wrote:
I'm actually quite frustrated with sites like MixedPower.com, which republish entire articles from other websites (including GreenHybrid). This is in blatant violation of copyright laws and gives them an unethical advantage with search engines, news engines, etc. I just posted a thread there about it and it's been deleted.

Ya know, I once cross-posted an article from a professional, freelance writer to rec.arts.startrek. By the next day, I had a lawyer contacting me, and threatening legal action.

I think you should do the same. If it was just 1 article, I'd let it slide, but you said "multiple articles" which is clearly a violation of copyright.

Get yourself a lawyer. It will be good practice for when you enter politics. ;-)

troy

Old 05-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: MixedPower.com taking articles from Greenhybrid.com

Troy,
I have no legal rights unless it's my work he republished. I did contact the authors. I also attempted to contact his host, but all of their email addresses currently aren't working. I'm not worrying about the whole situation for now.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Isn't there some kind of blanket form of copyright that since you are the host of the document or information that you can protect it for the original writer?

Old 05-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Site Founder

I don't believe there is, and I've discussed this with a web development/business community. Unfortunately, it's extremely easy for the unethical to gain a significant advantage when they're not playing by the rules.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Have you thought about encouraging your article writers to enforce their copyright privileges?

Old 05-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Site Founder

I have informed all authors of the violations. It is up to them to pursue any legal action should they decide to. Most people either don't care or are not interested in seeing that their work is published ethically.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Banned

Is the original authors don't care, then there's nothing you can do.

Perhaps the reason they don't care, is because they consider those works to be "public domain"?

troy

Old 05-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dancurranjr From mixedpower.com
Articles come from all over the world, some are written by visitors to MixedPower, others are sent with "Submit New News" - If the article is from another site the original source is listed at the end under "SOURCE:" to give proper recognition.

Is this accurate? Did mixedpower give credit to Greenhybrid.com?

troy

Old 05-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Site Founder

Yes, there are links as they state. Legally, it doesn't make a difference. If I were to republish all of the content from the New York Times and make my own newspaper, would it be alright as long as I give credit? I think not.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Site Founder

Gee. Talk about complicated. And, again: if I don't own the copyright, I can't do a thing. I suppose I could contact MSNBC and AutomobileMag as their article rights were violated, as well.
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your note. It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the text of which can be found at the U.S. Copyright Office website: http://lcWeb.loc.gov/copyright/) and other applicable intellectual property laws, which may include removing or disabling access to material claimed to be the subject of infringing activity. This means that we would remove individual articles from Google News.

To file a notice of infringement with us, you must provide a written communication (by fax or regular mail, not by email) that sets forth the items specified below. Please note that pursuant to that Act, you may be liable to the alleged infringer for damages (including costs and attorneys' fees) if you materially misrepresent that you own an item when you in fact do not. Accordingly, if you are not sure whether you have the right to request removal from our service, we suggest that you first contact an attorney.

To expedite our ability to process your request, please use the following format (including section numbers):

1. Identify in sufficient detail the copyrighted work that you believe has been infringed upon. For example, "The copyrighted work at issue is the text that appears on www.google.com/ads."

2. Identify the material that you claim is infringing upon the copyrighted work listed in item #1 above.

FOR GOOGLE NEWS, YOU MUST IDENTIFY EACH LISTING THAT DIRECTLY LINKS TO AN ARTICLE THAT ALLEGEDLY CONTAINS INFRINGING MATERIAL. This requires you to specify (a) that you found the article on Google News, (b) the search query that you used, and (c) the URL of each allegedly infringing article.

For example, suppose (hypothetically) that you conducted a search on news.google.com using the query [ Google ], and found that the third and fourth results directly link to a webpage that you believe infringes upon the copyrighted text that you identified in item #1 above. In this case, you would provide the following information:

Article is listed in Google News results
Search query: Google
Infringing webpages: directory.google.com/

3. Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit Google to contact you (email address is preferred). If you have previously communicated with us via email regarding this matter, please include the ticket number found in the subject line of our email. This will help us to process your request quickly.

4. Provide information, if possible, sufficient to permit Google to notify the owner/administrator of the web page that allegedly contains infringing material (email address is preferred).

5. Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on the allegedly infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."

6. Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury consistent with United States Code Title 17, Section 512, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

7. Sign the paper.

8. Send the written communication to the following address:

Google, Inc.
Attn: User Support, DMCA complaints
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

OR Fax to:

(650) 618-2649, Attn: User Support, DMCA complaints

Regards,
The Google Team

Last edited by Jason; 05-06-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: MixedPower.com taking articles from Greenhybrid.com

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands