Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Website Questions & Input (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/)
-   -   Significant Database Updates (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/significant-database-updates-804/)

Jason 08-17-2004 08:38 PM

The GreenHybrid Real Hybrid Mileage Database has undergone significant development today due to popular request.

Units conversions are now fully integrated including distance (mi, km), mileage (MPG:US, MPG:Imperial, L/100km), and fuel (gal:US, gal:Imperial, L). Economy figures may either be inputted straight from the vehicle or automatically calculated based on distance and fuel volume figures.

For all vehicles achieving >40 MPG, the appropriate "I Get XX Miles Per Gallon. You?" t-shirt appears on the respective detailed data page.

Soon I hope to make a few other small additions, but I believe this is a leap in the right direction. If you find any problems in the database (including miscalculations), please let me know. :lol:

Hot_Georgia_2004 08-17-2004 10:46 PM

I added my grand caravan to the non-hyrid section last week.
I just did something funny.
I went to add an entry for my HCH but forgot to select the correct vehicle.
Vewing the results, for a moment I was a little puzzled why my HCH tank wasn't added.

Then I remembered my other vehicle, and sure enough, my Grand Caravan was among the top of the pack at ~49MPG :lol: :D :lol:

One quick fix and my Grand Caravan was "Knocked back down to size"

Jason 08-18-2004 10:44 PM

More updates:
  • Add Data, Edit Data, Delete Data, & Edit Car pages return to car's detailed information page upon successful update.
  • "Last Update" headline links to last updated car's owner profile & car detailed information page

Jason 08-19-2004 08:30 AM

And another two:
  • Insights/Civics display transmission type on data tables
  • "Delete Data" no longer takes forever to load in database... coding optimized

Jason 08-19-2004 09:00 AM

Oh, you all are going to love this one!
  • EPA mileage barriers now on vehicle data tables

ericbecky 08-19-2004 09:31 AM

Those are some excellent additions, Jason.
I really like the visual impact of the mileage barriers.

Stevo12886 08-19-2004 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Jason@Aug 19th 2004 @ 11:00 AM
Oh, you all are going to love this one!
  • EPA mileage barriers now on vehicle data tables

Jason,
I'm assuming that this is only for those lucky enough to be driving a hybrid?
Cheers,
Steven

Jason 08-19-2004 05:17 PM

Yes, of course.

Jason 08-22-2004 12:33 PM

Another useful addition:

The main page now shows both the mean average of models on a bar graph but also shows the spread of mileages with a boxplot. Great to see the percentiles!

xcel 08-22-2004 04:46 PM

Hi Jason:

___Again, great job on the additional detail and features. The stat blocks are a bit confusing as most don’t think to this detail and with little to basically no resolution given the graph heights. They appear to overrun and muddy what you are trying to present imho.

___The “Real Hybrid Mileage Database” feature of your site is the big one that keeps me coming back and watching the members grow day over day as they add there own tank over tank data is excellent. 1,000 members is actually is not that far away.

___And a suggestion … I just added my first tank for the Corolla with the new “add tank data” form and detail. The “miles driven” still has no significant digit beyond the ones column yet the gallons filled can go out at least 3. That is what the local BP provides me with anyway. Is there anything you can do to add this? If so, I can redo every tank of the Insight, Corolla, and MDX so its Excel spreadsheet accurate instead of these slight but quite noticeable estimates from actual as I view them in the database.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Jason 08-22-2004 05:57 PM

In the database, distance is stored to the nearest unit and mileage is stored to the nearest tenth. I could output calculations to the nearest thousanth, but they cannot be accurate.

xcel 08-22-2004 06:20 PM

Hi Jason:

___I don’t care that the output is to the thousandths but the input has to be at least tenths or the output is just a very close estimate. Look at the Corolla’s last tank. Since I always include actual distances driven/gallons filled = actual mpg in the notes, you can see the differences between calculated and actual just because that one little .4 miles driven is missing.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 08-22-2004 06:44 PM

I'll see what I can do when I have some more development time ;)

xcel 08-22-2004 08:08 PM

Hi Jason:

___Thanks.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 09-11-2004 06:55 PM

There is now a min/max representation on the mileage graph. I'll create a full boxplot when I can (min,q1,med,q3,max) but the calculations to find q1 and q3 will take a little bit of thinking :D

xcel 09-11-2004 07:56 PM

Hi Jason:

___I just had a look over the database numbers and it appears that the average temperature is now fubar? IIRC, you had a mileage weighted temperature (as you should have) but now, something altogether different is appearing. In other words, the temperature shown is not a straight average or mileage weighted but something completely different?

___For my own mileage weighted temperature, I use the following in excel …

T(mileage weighted)=[(Miles Traveled Tank(n)*Average Temperature of Tank(n))+(Miles Traveled Tank(n + 1)*Average Temperature Tank(n+1))]/(Miles Traveled Tank(n) + Miles Traveled Tank(n + 1)) with a drag down continuing the sequence with future n = (n+1)

___For the straight average (non-temperature weighted), I just use T(non-weighted)=Sum(Average Tank Temperature(s))/total number of tanks … The weighted average makes more sense to me given you will usually drive further in warmer weather then colder (A/C use not-withstanding).

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 09-11-2004 08:00 PM

Yeah, I commented on that in a post yesterday. Have to look into how it happened.

xcel 09-11-2004 08:03 PM

Hi Jason:

___Sorry I missed the temperature related issue description from yesterday?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 09-15-2004 01:22 PM

Hmm yeah, you're right. Different issue.

So you're saying now that the LMPG is right, all the other variables are wrong? I know the highway and traffic ones are wrong. Now, you say, temp is wrong? Hmmm... is it possible that the way I had it before worked for everything except mileage? Though, that doesn't make sense...

I'm using the same equation for every variable! Why does it work for some and not others?

Side note: fixed the graphs.

Jason 09-18-2004 11:48 PM

An upgraded professional license has been purchased for the graphing software in the database at a cost of over $100. Let's keep that section in good use, eh?

Stevo12886 09-19-2004 10:21 AM

Jason,
Of course! It really gives invaluable information.
Cheers,
Steven

xcel 12-06-2004 10:16 AM

Hi All:

___Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one …

___Jason, I haven’t yet passed on Kudo’s to you for the refreshed look of Greenhybrid given the micro and small Hybrid gif’s/jpeg’s on the home page, forums, and in the RHMDB. It adds quite a bit of splash indeed.

___A small improvement I would like to see. The Prius II that is covered in grass logo changes to the Color logo only after a mouse over. Could you change the sequence to Color first and black and white second? I am not so sure that many would mouse over so they only see the black and white before hitting a link … The Color logo looks far better at first glance and on an initial presentation, it is the first look that grabs ones attention.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Jason 12-06-2004 03:05 PM

Hmm. I'll see about switching that. Though, it doesn't make much common sense to have it the other way around. The way it is, it kind of "highlights."

Jason 12-20-2004 05:16 PM

The mileage graph now has an image map (links on the graph).

ericbecky 12-20-2004 06:49 PM

HOORAY!!
This is always something I wanted. So it's kind of like my own personal Greenhybrid Christmas present.
I can't even count the number of times that I have tried clicking on those @!*&% graphs! Now they will actually do something when I click on them! Thank you, thank you!

Jason 12-20-2004 08:36 PM

lol. Enjoy it. I'm going to have to reconstruct that map every time I add a new car =(