First Service ... mpg screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast
Default First Service ... mpg screwed up?

I have an HCHII that I bought in Sept 06. I have not reset my trip A meter ever because I wanted to track my overall mpg for the life of the car. I use my trip B meter to keep track of mpg for the current tank of gas.

I just brought my car in for the DC Cap Recall and it's first Oil Change (it was at 15%). When I dropped the car off it had 7521 miles and like 230 on trip B. The trip A mpg was at around 45.5 and trip B at 44 ish (yeah I know, but iti's been pretty cold here lately). When I picked it up the display was on trip B (how I left it) and it said right around 232 but the mpg was down to 30 (!!) After a small gasp I figured that they had been idling/revving the engine as part of the oil change or something, so I switched over to see what it had done to my lifetime mpg and it was also at 30. Agh!

After driving around it immediately picked up and now both are back up over 50 within 30 miles of driving. However, the Trip A mpg and the Trip B mpg are displaying the exact same number. (They did not reset it as trip A mileage still reads the same as my overall mileage). Maybe I'm missing something, but my understanding of simple arithmetic tells me that this is not correct. If trip B is the average over only ~260 miles and trip A is the average over ~7500 miles it should take much longer to see a difference in the trip A average.

What's going on here? Have I lost my lifetime metric?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Service ... mpg screwed up?

Alright, well I found the answer here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=12333

Looks like I DID lose my lifetime mpg. That makes me very very sad.

Sorry for the clutter thread - I DID look before I posted, I swear.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Irene, your lifetime mpg meter would have crapped out at 10k miles anyways when the odo rolled over, so don't feel too bad.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

aha. I did not know that. Thanks - that does make me feel better

Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Irene, your lifetime mpg meter would have crapped out at 10k miles anyways when the odo rolled over, so don't feel too bad.
Not really. It just rolls over. Just add as many 10,000 mile units as you have on the car, mentally. It's easy for me, since everything I do is kinda mental

Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Not really. It just rolls over. Just add as many 10,000 mile units as you have on the car, mentally. It's easy for me, since everything I do is kinda mental
You go right ahead. Tell me what happens when you hit 10k.