Looking for an 08 or newer Escape 4WD - have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking for an 08 or newer Escape 4WD - have questions.

Originally Posted by xspirit
It seems strange, but I've never been able to find braking distance numbers to help prove if the change from rear discs to drums resulted in longer stopping distances. I know the FEH has relatively long stopping distances, but I don't know if this was a post '08 problem. I'm not willing to agree that going to rear drums was a mistake until I see it proven by such numbers.
Consumer Reports noted the longer stopping distances with the rear drum brakes.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Consumer Reports noted the longer stopping distances with the rear drum brakes.
If that's for the Escape's switch from rear discs to rear drums, it's hard to argue with it.

Here's the edmunds.com opinion on rear drum vs rear discs in general:

"today's disc/drum setups are completely adequate for the majority of new cars. Remember that both disc and drum brake design has been vastly improved in the last 20 years. In fact, the current rear drum brake systems on today's cars would provide better stopping performance then the front disc setups of the '70s. And today's front disc brakes are truly exceptional in terms of stopping power. Combined with the fact that between 60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels, it's clear that a well-designed, modern drum brake is all that's required for most rear wheel brake duty.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I don't recall the exact article, but when they switched to drum brakes back in 2009, I recall seeing some information that said they did it to make it easier to implement the RSC. I'm not sure I buy that, because I think other Ford vehicles have discs back there and still have RSC. But that is what I recall.

OK, here is the thread, but it isn't very definitive:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...es-09-a-18383/

Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Without reading your posted articled, I can remember a Ford Motor Company Spokesperson stating RSC could not be used with the rear disc brakes on the Escape. I had pointed out that the Explorer had rear disc brakes and RSC so the Spokesperson statement was BS.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Without reading your posted articled, I can remember a Ford Motor Company Spokesperson stating RSC could not be used with the rear disc brakes on the Escape. I had pointed out that the Explorer had rear disc brakes and RSC so the Spokesperson statement was BS.
Yes, I saw that in the thread, somewhere around page three.

Actually, could it have been the fact that the Escape is a hybrid? Different from the Expo.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM

It is true that the non-Hybrid Escape had stability control long before the Hybrid, which didn't get it until '09. Which was the same year it got the rear drums. But, other cars have stability control and rear drums, such as our Grand Vitara. I'm having a hard time imagining what would preclude stability control on a hybrid with rear discs. In fact, the current generation Prius has stability control and rear discs.

Strange, other than a cost-cutting measure.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

Wow - I stepped away for a few days after starting this thread, and find it has exploded into a rather in-depth discussion of brakes! ;-)

Thank you to all who chimed in with great advice. I've been very specific with the vehicle I'm looking for, and have found 3 to consider.

1 is a MMH, and 2 are FEH. All three are 2008, have leather with heated seats, power everything, the factory Nav system, and sunroof. All have mileage within 5k of each other (and near 100k).

All 3 are different colors. I don't particularly love or hate any of the colors, so I'll consider that the same.

So, to the differences:

The MMH is making the "coffee percolating" noise behind the dash that I understand is due to a busted set of gears on a climate control vent, and is relatively easily and inexpensively repaired by a capable DIY'er. (though the dealer insists it is just a bubble in the cooling system.... HA!)

FEH 1 appears to be mechanically sound, with no known issues with the drivetrain or features. It is missing a headrest from the center rear seat, and has no floormats. But, it has brand new tires. The tires on the others are OK, but not new.

FEH 2 also appears to be mechanically sound, but has a bad sunroof motor.

FEH 2 is the cheapest of the bunch, with FEH 1 in the middle and the MMH the most expensive.

The MMH is at a local dealer, but they are asking too much for it. Both FEHs would involve a plane ride for me to pick up.

I'm currently inclined to hop a plane out to FEH2 and pick it up. However - I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with the sunroof motors? Are they the same as the motors on the standard Escape? I've found escape sunroof motors all over the internet for < $100, and I'm not afraid to try to replace it myself.

Am I nuts? Should I pay more and get FEH1 with working sunroof (but missing mats and headrest)? It's priced about $800 more than FEH2.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by quangdog
Wow - I stepped away for a few days after starting this thread, and find it has exploded into a rather in-depth discussion of brakes! ;-)

Thank you to all who chimed in with great advice. I've been very specific with the vehicle I'm looking for, and have found 3 to consider.

1 is a MMH, and 2 are FEH. All three are 2008, have leather with heated seats, power everything, the factory Nav system, and sunroof. All have mileage within 5k of each other (and near 100k).

All 3 are different colors. I don't particularly love or hate any of the colors, so I'll consider that the same.

So, to the differences:

The MMH is making the "coffee percolating" noise behind the dash that I understand is due to a busted set of gears on a climate control vent, and is relatively easily and inexpensively repaired by a capable DIY'er. (though the dealer insists it is just a bubble in the cooling system.... HA!)

FEH 1 appears to be mechanically sound, with no known issues with the drivetrain or features. It is missing a headrest from the center rear seat, and has no floormats. But, it has brand new tires. The tires on the others are OK, but not new.

FEH 2 also appears to be mechanically sound, but has a bad sunroof motor.

FEH 2 is the cheapest of the bunch, with FEH 1 in the middle and the MMH the most expensive.

The MMH is at a local dealer, but they are asking too much for it. Both FEHs would involve a plane ride for me to pick up.

I'm currently inclined to hop a plane out to FEH2 and pick it up. However - I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with the sunroof motors? Are they the same as the motors on the standard Escape? I've found escape sunroof motors all over the internet for < $100, and I'm not afraid to try to replace it myself.

Am I nuts? Should I pay more and get FEH1 with working sunroof (but missing mats and headrest)? It's priced about $800 more than FEH2.

Thanks!
Tires are expensive; if those tires are good quality, that plus the motor repair make FEH1 better in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Difficult situation. Buying a used car is like walking blindfolded through a minefield. Avoiding a mine is worth more than paying a little too much.

The most important two problems at this point are determining if any of them have been in accidents, and determining if any of them require, or will soon require, costly repairs. For instance, do any of them have rust? Try to find out if any of them have had the steering column replaced, which would be a big plus.

You shouldn't buy any of them without a thorough independent inspection and one of those history verification documents. As long as the MMH is not terribly overpriced, at least you can inspect it, or have it inspected, without expensive travel. You could have the FEH's inspected remotely, but that may take some doing. Perhaps AAA can help.

Another factor is that until you negotiate a final price, you can't say for sure which is the better deal. People vary a lot on asking prices. Car dealers ask unrealistic high prices for used cars, just to profit from the few people who don't want to negotiate. Then the private sellers base their asking price on the dealers' asking prices. I've found dealers and private sellers will sell for about 80% of their asking prices, and it's excellent to have more than one to play off against each other.

Dealing with the missing headrest will be a cinch compared to the sun roof motor. The motor requires removing the headliner, which will be a big headache.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

I have carfax histories on 2 of the 3, and will get the 3rd tomorrow (hopefully). The histories show no accidents at all. The local dealer is asking 12,999 for the MMH. I've offered 11,500, and they just laugh, insisting that they never go below their posted price. I've told them that before they ship it off to auction for far less, give me a call. We'll see if they do.

FEH1 (new tires, good sunroof motor, missing headrest) can be had for 12,200, and that appears to be as low as I can get them to go. FEH2 is asking 11,400, and I have not tried negotiating price with them yet.

None of these prices are really amazing, but are relatively ok for retail at a dealer. Have not found any private party sellers yet.

An independent check would be a great idea. Do most mechanics have the skills to check out a hybrid like this? Should I call a Ford dealership near the dealers that have these for sale and see if they'll do it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking for an 08 or newer Escape 4WD - have questions.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands