Why the rear drum brakes on the '09?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Why the rear drum brakes on the '09?

Does anyone know why it was necessary to revert to rear drum brakes for the 2009 FEH / MMH?

I know that they did it so that RSC could be added, but my question is why RSC could not work with ecvt / hybrid / rear disc brakes.

Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Default Re: Why the rear drum brakes on the '09?

The 2008 Ford Escape (non-hybrid) arrived with rear drum brakes--advanced track and RSC as standard equipment. The 2007 Escape (non-hybrid) had 4 wheel disc brakes but no advance track and RSC.

If one relies on this information it seem like the problem is with disc brakes and advance track/RSC, not regenerative braking with advance track/RSC. Or is it either advance track or RSC by itself unable to combine with disc brakes?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Beancounters, STRICTLY beancounters.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Beancounters, STRICTLY beancounters.
Sorry but the official Ford statement prior to this year: problem was with combining regenerative braking with electronic stability control.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Disc brakes have a slight drag all the time, drum brakes do not. I was kinda surprised when I saw disk brakes on the first FEH. This might be a good thing.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Sorry but the official Ford statement prior to this year: problem was with combining regenerative braking with electronic stability control.
Ford LIES......

The FEH/MMH's are primarily FWD vehicles and so regenerative braking has virtually nothing to do with rear wheel braking. And I would bet good money that along with electronic stability control (coming in 2010??) the rear brakes will be disc.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Disc brakes have a slight drag all the time, drum brakes do not. I was kinda surprised when I saw disk brakes on the first FEH. This might be a good thing.
A slight drag? Why? That makes no sense at all - disc brakes would wear out REALLY fast.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:07 AM

My understanding of how disc brakes work is that the slight "wobble" of the rotor is enough to push the pads off the rotor for most of the time during cruise speeds. But there is some level of pad contact that isn't found in a drum system. Drum brakes have springs to pull the pads off the drum.

I just can't see where FORD engineers would have to have drum brakes on the rear to get Advancetrac and RSC to work. The Explorer has all disk brakes and has had this technology since 2005.

I agree with WWest, this has to be a financial decision...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Yes, remember that rear disc brakes require two braking methods, disc/caliper plus drum/shoe e-brake.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Mark, are you sure about this? I thought that disc brakes, depending on the design, either had an integral return spring or enough spring in the seals to keep the discs free of contact in a properly aligned system.

Quick Reply: Why the rear drum brakes on the '09?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands