For fun: most miles on one tank of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Question For fun: most miles on one tank of gas?

As most of us know, the TCH will report your gas tank as empty and cruising range is 0 after just 14gallons, meaning you still have 3gal of gas in reserve. So the trick is calculating how far you can really push your TCH before you run out of gas, because on those last 3gal you could be getting 60mpg in mostly-EV mode, or you could be getting 20mpg doing lots of full starts/stops, and you don't know how much gas is really left in the tank.

So last night, I got to 0 cruising miles at 502 miles, and I kept going until I had put 544miles on that tank before I filled up. I know I had at least 50miles left in the tank (and probably more because the car only took 14.5 gallons to fill up) but I was at Costco already.

So who in here has put the most miles in their TCH on a single tank of gas? Anybody go over 600 miles on one tank?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Default Re: For fun: most miles on one tank of gas?

I have a 609 tank. I'm going over 600 again this time too, just as a goal to reach. There's a 713 mile tank in the TCH database too. Hamm3r has and 800 mile tank !!!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM

I couldn't figure out how to sort individual tanks by highest mileage in the database, which is why I created this post, but 800miles is crazy!

Maybe I could beat that record if I can maintain this pace:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...ingCostco2.jpg

Last edited by flopshot; 08-30-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM

My last tank was 686 miles - and it only took 15.1 gallons to fill. 800 is possible, but that's stretching it too far for me. My longest tank was 713 miles using 16.2 gallons. I just wanted to post a tank over 700 miles so I went for it.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

My last tank (second overall) was 613.8 miles! Hand calculations had the tank at 42.5 MPG.

Question: Does the TCH "learn" how far it can go on a tank of gas? In other words, will the cruising miles left adjust itself over time to more accurately reflect the MPG the car has been getting? I thought I saw someone post their cruising miles left started over 600 after a fill up.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerx3
Does the TCH "learn" how far it can go on a tank of gas? In other words, will the cruising miles left adjust itself over time to more accurately reflect the MPG the car has been getting? I thought I saw someone post their cruising miles left started over 600 after a fill up.
Why yes it does!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by nash
Why yes it does!

Show off

Actually, quite impressive.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Interesting and good to know. I don't let mine go below 1/4 tank, though, so I suppose I will never know unless/until I get to the point where I stop obsessing about filling it up when it's at 1/4 tank.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I've got 989 km (Canada) out of a tank (614 miles) and could have squeezed out another 20 to 40 miles or so. I tell everyone I get 1000km per tank.

god, I love this car!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

You all do realize that running a tank dry will cause the fuel pump to cavitate.
Doing so risks permanent damage to the fuel pump and fuel injectors.

Just seems unwise to risk damage like that.

J

Quick Reply: For fun: most miles on one tank of gas?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands