Damage Under Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Damage Under Warranty?

I washing my2005 HCH at one of those self washes (with the high pressure water). As i was washing the rear passanger door the black weather stripping "melted". The water coming out cold. I think the pressure was too much for the rubber. I had the nozzel at least 2 feet from the car.

I have gone to this place numerous times with my GM cars and never had this problem. Do you think that Honda will repair this for free under warranty? In my opinion this is clearly manufacturer defect. I should not have to be cautious when i want to wash my car.

How should i present this to Honda? Advice is appreciated.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Default Re: Damage Under Warranty?

I doubt they will cover it. That part is reasonably cheap

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...AR+DOOR+PANELS

And easy to replace. I guess if you put up a big stink about it you might be able to convince them to fix it. I haven't had any problems with the trim on my car at car washes. Maybe you did have a defective piece.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

$10 is not bad. I can do it myself, but it is somewhat the principal, ya know. I think i might just do it myself.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:06 AM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Damage Under Warranty?

Originally Posted by shenfo
I washing my2005 HCH at one of those self washes (with the high pressure water). As i was washing the rear passanger door the black weather stripping "melted". The water coming out cold. I think the pressure was too much for the rubber. I had the nozzel at least 2 feet from the car.

I have gone to this place numerous times with my GM cars and never had this problem. Do you think that Honda will repair this for free under warranty? In my opinion this is clearly manufacturer defect. I should not have to be cautious when i want to wash my car.

Read This Close;

I work at a dealer. Take your Honda Civic into the dealer and show the service advisor the Black Weather Stripping that is messed up and when and if they ask what happen tell him/her that you were going to wash your car and this weather stripping is messed up and you would like it to be repaired, "Obviously-Under-Warranty". You are Not-lying to anyone, you are just leaving out part of the facts.

BTW; If your conscious is Bothering you just remember how dealers have No-Problem charging that "DOC-FEE" when you purchased the car.

All, before I forget the dealer is not footing the Bill for the repair the Manufacture is and that is why we Purchase New so we have it covered under Factory Warranty.

HTH;

Terry

BTW; If you do-not know what a "DOC-Fee" stands for in Dealership-Language, it stands for
"Additional-Dealer-Profit".

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-15-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by shenfo

Very interesting situation. I would also take it to the dealer as tigerhonaker says and have it replaced.

I'm just curious about the type of "rubber" they are using. For the outside weather stripping it may be Buna-N and for the inside door gaskets it could be a silicone rubber. Buna-N is a very durable compounded synthetic material (nitrile) used for a wide range of temp's and outside ratings (UV, ozone, etc) so it shouldn't have melted. Maybe someone can confirm if this is what Honda uses???