Dying 12V battery or something else? [Service Brake Sytem error]

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Dying 12V battery or something else? [Service Brake Sytem error]

Hi everyone, in something of a pickle at the moment. I'm going to detail all the events that transpired chronologically.

Got into an accident exactly 2 weeks ago. I was rear ended but wasn't a major cause for concern as there was no real visible damage to the back of the vehicle. Drive the car away without any noticeable problems.

3 days later when I turn off the vehicle, my dashboard gauges (like the ones that display MPG and RPM) start rattling strangely for a few seconds and then stop. I turn the car back on and all my radio stations and MPG settings have been reset. I'm assuming that this means my battery is dying?

I drove it a few times after this incident without any problems.

Tonight, about 2 weeks later, I get into my car and now the SERVICE BREAK SYSTEM and ABS lights are solid and do not go away.

Also, it sounds like the engine is 'reving' more than it should when its either in drive or reverse. Can any of this be caused by a dying 12V battery?

Can purchasing an ODB scanner help me find what the cause to my problem is?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dying 12V battery or something else? [Service Brake Sytem error]

A dying 12V battery will do strange things. I only got 48 months out of two different Motorcraft batteries but I also develop an inconsistent pattern in being able to start the vehicle. The relays would often fail to close and I thus needed to use a portable power pack to close the relays and start the vehicle.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Being 2 weeks prior to the problems starting, I would doubt the accident caused anything, though it may have caused or exacerbated a loose wiring issue elsewhere. I would check your terminals and grounds just in case to ensure nothing is amiss there, but past that if your 12V battery is old it can most definitely cause some funky issues. Mine caused all kinds of DTCs to set for problems that didn't exist at all once I got the battery replaced and DTCs cleared.

You might also want to check for broken ABS tone rings and surrounding areas on all 4 corners just in case the DTCs are correct, and there actually is something wrong with the ABS system.

Most generic scanners will show only generic OBDII DTCs, and will NOT show you make-specific codes unless you get a model that can be upgraded to include them. There are some that can actually be programmed, ,like the scangauge, to show make-specific codes though.

Last edited by 84GT Ragtop; 08-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

My experience with broken tone rings is that dash warning signals and a noise/thump occur sometimes during braking. A broken speed sensor will also induce various issues. Don't know what else to say other than to read the codes.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions and tips guys!

I took it to Advance Auto Parts and according to them, the battery is just fine, operating at a 12.6V level as it should be.

I've decided to let Ford run a few diagnostic tests on the vehicle to better understand what is going on. I'll update this thread as soon as I get results come Monday.

Thanks again guys!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hi firends, I´m from Honduras. I own a 2006 hybrid escape. Some times I have the service brake system sound and the light brake comes on. The brakes work fine and there are times when it does not happen. Any ideas, also in the last days I´m having the wrench ligth on, the car runs fine but I like all the lights in the dashbord off. I do not have acces to a scan for hybrid systems. Thanks in advance