Nav System Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Nav System Install

Hello all,
My wife and I just got her new 08 FEH and she loves it. She was driving around in a Diesel Excursion so it might take a while to adjust to the smaller size. Anyway, I ordered the Hybrid Nav system from the dealer (good price break) as part of the negotiations. I have extensive experience installing audio systems and well as LoJack devices. My question to you all is, should this just be a "plug and play" install? I mean, the harness should already be there behind the dash. Any thoughts?

Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav System Install

Originally Posted by jasonmckay
My question to you all is, should this just be a "plug and play" install? I mean, the harness should already be there behind the dash. Any thoughts?
I don't know about the '08, but harnesses weren't there on the earlier models.

The "problem" is that the Nav system in the hybrid also has to tie into the hybrid's computer system. This supports the extra hybrid-only screens on the Nav system. The computer system also needs to know to send some info, like that for mileage, to the Nav system instead of to the Message Center.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 AM

I know at one time Ford uses a single wiring harness across a models (like all the convertible wiring being available even if it's not a convertible). But from what I've read that's no longer the case. Please let us know how you make out with this project.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

On the 2005's to 2007's there were five, count 'em... 5 separate wire harnesses that plug into the back of the Nav radio. One for GPS, one for MPG, one for CD changer, one for Speakers, etc.

One of them, for the MPG display went either to the instrument cluster, or the radio, but not both places. So if you have MPG on the Instrument Cluster, there will not be a MPG "wire" at the back of the radio.

*disclaimer
*I have never seen a 2008 radio.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

The dealer added the NAV system to my 08. I had two problems:
1. They gave me the NAV manual supplement form a Lincoln Navigator, not an 08 hybrid.
2. They gave me an outdated MAP dvd.

And, the dealer took care of these problems. It all works fine

Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys all. I guess I will see what happens when I tear into the dash.

DavidH - What is your version of the nav cd's?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
I know at one time Ford uses a single wiring harness across a models (like all the convertible wiring being available even if it's not a convertible). But from what I've read that's no longer the case. Please let us know how you make out with this project.
Yea, my old 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe had the wiring for the GT's fog lights, and the wiring for the convertible top. If one wanted to add the GT fogs, it was simple "plug and play".

Ford then got smart, realized it was too easy for us to do that, and stopped using a "max" wired harness.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
On the 2005's to 2007's there were five, count 'em... 5 separate wire harnesses that plug into the back of the Nav radio. One for GPS, one for MPG, one for CD changer, one for Speakers, etc.

One of them, for the MPG display went either to the instrument cluster, or the radio, but not both places. So if you have MPG on the Instrument Cluster, there will not be a MPG "wire" at the back of the radio.

*disclaimer
*I have never seen a 2008 radio.
Off-topic and naive question - Can the MPG "wire" be split between the instrument cluster and the radio/nav?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Jason. Check out this thread!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...package-12803/

Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Good read on that link David. Thanks. Now I'm starting to have second thoughts on the Nav system.

Quick Reply: Nav System Install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands