Where can I get a new shift knob for FEH 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Where can I get a new shift **** for FEH 2008?

When I bought my 2008 FEH the silver stripe on the shift **** was beginning to peel, and has since become worse. It is a metallic-feeling strip of plastic, and has sharp edges that occasionally catch my hand. I'd like to just get a new shift ****, but have not been able to find anything online that looks like it will work.

Has anyone ever replaced this shift ****? Do I have to replace the whole shifter assembly, or can I swap out just the ****?

Here's a picture of the exact part I'm talking about:

Name:  fFCTQ7z.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  141.9 KB

Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Where can I get a new shift **** for FEH 2008?

I believe that is named "transmission gear shift level ****."

Look on the fordparts.com website, as a starting point (then look on after market sites). Sometimes the drawings showing the part gives an idea how to do a replacement.

No, I've not changed out one. But I have had the outer paint on some of the interior parts, such as the greyish part above the door lock and window up/down switched, left center in your picture, start to wear away and replaced them.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe it's possible to just replace the strip. You could go to a pick-a-part wrecker with a few basic tools for prying and "experiment". Or experiment on your own since it seems to be a total loss at this point.

To change the whole lever will require at least removing the console. That's not awfully difficult, and instructions are easy to find.

Looks like you keep your Escape in nice condition.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Have you thought of vinyl covering the strip? Maybe a carbon fiber look will work.

Originally Posted by xspirit
Maybe it's possible to just replace the strip. You could go to a pick-a-part wrecker with a few basic tools for prying and "experiment". Or experiment on your own since it seems to be a total loss at this point.

To change the whole lever will require at least removing the console. That's not awfully difficult, and instructions are easy to find.

Looks like you keep your Escape in nice condition.