sticky knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default sticky ****

With my 04 Prius, I could shift to D or R then let go and the **** would move back to its starting position. I just drove the car and the **** now stays where it is when I shift, rather than moving back to its original position. Is this indicative of a deeper problem?

TIA

infael

Old 12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: sticky ****

Does the car actually shift properly? If so, my guess is that it's just a malfunction of the lever itself, like a broken spring, perhaps. Shifting is a "by-wire" operation, meaning there is no mechanical linkage between the lever and the transmission; it's all electronic.

So assuming the car goes into gear, repair should be limited to the lever assembly and should be simple, I would think. The dash is easily removed, and I can't imagine the part would be terribly expensive.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Liberty said the problem is due to an internal failure and will cost almost $700 to fix. It's a sealed unit and can't be disassembled.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

What "sealed unit" are they referring to?? If it's the lever assembly, it makes some sense that they'd have to replace the whole unit. But, though I'm certainly no Prius tech, I find it hard to believe $700 is required to replace it, again assuming that's the only problem. I've had my dash out and I've seen the lever assembly from the back side. It's a small mechanical device with a wiring harness connected to its backside, nothing more.

If the car is shifting properly, you can choose to live with it. Or you could try to find a used part. Meanwhile, I suggest posting on PriusChat. There are substantially more Prius owners active there than here. Many are more knowledgeable about the technical/mechanical side of the car than I, and one or two are actual Prius technicians. They are extremely helpful with assistance diagnosing problems and suggesting remedy options.

Last edited by JimboK; 01-22-2008 at 10:18 AM.