Camry 2007 sat for 6 months - now ICE sputters and dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry 2007 sat for 6 months - now ICE sputters and dies

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
She had the missing and popping after getting a jump when the original 12V battery went dead and the traction battery was charged. I don't think it is a bad gas issue nor do I think it is completely due to the traction battery needing to be charged. It sounds more like an electrical issue than anything else and might have been caused by the original jump start. I do think you need to get it towed to the dealer to get the traction battery charged but don't be surprised if that doesn't fix the issue.
I think if she had told me right away I could have done all this troubleshooting 6 months ago (replace 12v and fuse) and the car would have been fine, including hybrid battery. But now that it's been sitting for 6 months hybrid battery needs some juice. But at least the ICE is running.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If it's running, you don't have a battery fault code, and the car provides normal assist and regen, absolutely no need to take it to the dealer.

I don't know the Camry specifically, but the Prius works this way. After disconnecting the reconnecting the 12V, does the Camry charge the hybrid battery at idle for at least a few minutes? If it does, I would do this twice.

Then I would set parking brake, push and hold brake and then floor the gas until it shows 8 bars AND stops showing flow into the battery.

EDIT: Must also be in "D" to force charge... doh!

Last edited by S Keith; 01-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Drive the car until it gets up to temp for at least 4 or 5 miles. Shutdown and repeat after 15 or 20 minutes of downtime. Repeat the cycle for the third time. After it cools off, start the car as normal and see what it does. You might have a system fault that will need three driving cycles to clear or a techstream or other scanner to re-set the system.