MAF sensor dies and dealer says caused by cheap air filter!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default MAF sensor dies and dealer says caused by cheap air filter!

So, we were traveling down to Los Angeles from San Jose. About 400 miles into the trip, the car lost all power and we barely made it off the freeway! Towed to the dealer! The dealer in Fontana looked at the the escape the next morning and told us that the MAF sensor failed. The service writer said it was likely caused by our "aftermarket" air filter that I just had replaced by Jiffy Lube. He said they are soft and under pressure and that through a void, a bug or something must have gotten sucked through the MAF and damaged it. They graciously replaced the sensor under warranty and then told me I needed to put a factory style air filter on and also that my tires needed balancing and rotating! Anyway we were back on the road and grateful, but the actual question is, do I have any recourse against Ford or the Jiffy lube for my rental car and any other costs. I really find it hard to believe that an air filter caused this problem. By the way, our car has surged a few times over the last year, but we never took it in to the dealer. Maybe the MAF was going bad for a while? Did we get screwed?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MAF sensor dies and dealer says caused by cheap air filter!

I've never been convinced that these after market filters were any better than the standard filters. My rationale: I searched for technical performance data and could find none.

They tell you that you get better air flow... well, a filter that doesn't filter as well can do just that. So why don't they post data showing the filter performance relative to particle size & air flow through the filter. I concluded that they had not done those kind of tests or that the results weren't very good for advertising.

So I don't use these things. I stick with the standard filters. Usually NAPA Gold filters, but Fram does in a pinch...

Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You certainly should have no expectation that Ford or the dealership would reimburse you for your rental vehicle, etc. The corner lube shop will likely deny any fault but may refund your cost of the air filter.

A noted source says:
" MAF sensors are very prone to sensing wire element contamination. A condition referred to by many technicians as “growing hairs” happens when debris, dirt from cheap air filters and outside air stick to the sensing wire element, shielding it from the incoming air. This shielding effect prevents the MAF sensor from correctly measuring the air flow and mass causing severe air-fuel ratio control problems. An ECM not in control while at pre-load is a strong indication of a dirty (or damaged) MAF." They may have dislodged dirt, etc. when they replaced the air filter, that got sucked into the air inlet tube and contaminated/damaged the MAF.

I only use Motorcraft products because I know they are designed for my vehicle by Ford engineers, and I clean the air tube and filter housing (not with an air hose).

Last edited by Red; 11-22-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by sandykor@sbcglobal.net
So, we were traveling down to Los Angeles from San Jose. About 400 miles into the trip, the car lost all power and we barely made it off the freeway! Towed to the dealer! The dealer in Fontana looked at the the escape the next morning and told us that the MAF sensor failed. The service writer said it was likely caused by our "aftermarket" air filter that I just had replaced by Jiffy Lube. He said they are soft and under pressure and that through a void, a bug or something must have gotten sucked through the MAF and damaged it. They graciously replaced the sensor under warranty and then told me I needed to put a factory style air filter on and also that my tires needed balancing and rotating! Anyway we were back on the road and grateful, but the actual question is, do I have any recourse against Ford or the Jiffy lube for my rental car and any other costs. I really find it hard to believe that an air filter caused this problem. By the way, our car has surged a few times over the last year, but we never took it in to the dealer. Maybe the MAF was going bad for a while? Did we get screwed?
A person would have had to actually seen the failed MAF/IAT sensor elements in order to make that "call". If the dealer saw a sensor element covered with oil and dirt that would certainly indicate the use of a K&N type air filter at some point in the past. Absent a K&N type I have seen aftermarket air filters that had seals that were too small to fit the inlet filter assembly and clearly would allow dirt to bypass.

But all in all the dealer failure cause description sound suspect, VERY suspect.

Last edited by wwest; 11-22-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the dealer's explanation is....in the words of the Discovery Channel's 'Mythbusters'......plausible, at best. I agree with the previous poster that one would need the actual failed part submitted to independent analysis to substantiate the claim. They may, indeed, be very correct that the MAF actually failed, but might find it harder to pinpoint the aftermarket filter as being the one and only cause.....IMHO.

I also use the Motorcraft filters, since they're only a bit more expensive than NAPA. Haven't used any K&N, but they are very highly rated on several sites. Ones from Walmart/Kmart/Target ?? Nah, not worth the time/risk/hassle....

Gary

Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM

I've not had MAF issues with the FEH but I have had them in my '95 Mustang. I've had two instances where the MAF got "dirty" and caused either rough idle or a backfire upon quick throttle applications. In both cases I was able to remove the MAF and see a black film on the filter side of the MAF element along with the fuzzy/hairy appearance mentioned above. I cleaned the element with a specific MAF cleaner I got at the local auto parts store (probably the same thing known as electronics cleaner in the non-automotive world). Once cleaned the car returned to normal operating behavior and has stayed that way for 20,000+ miles.

I do have a cold air intake and an aftermarket air filter (not a K&N) on the Mustang. I expect the oil from the filter caused the element to become a bit sticky and then collect fine particles of dust. Once there is build up on the element in the MAF sensor, it will give incorrect air flow readings to the ECU and cause the ECU to be less than optimal in controlling the ICE. I've heard of the same thing happening to the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor which is usually located near the MAF in the intake track.

I've also seen this on a '87 Buick Regal back in '89, we ended up replacing the MAF that time but I expect a cleaning might have worked then too.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice and comments! Just to clarify, my air cleaner was just a filter that the local Jiffy Lube installed a month ago, not a K&N or anything like that. We did make it home from LA and the car is running better than it has in months, so maybe the sensor was going bad long before the air filter was installed? Ford did talk me into the "factory" air filter, tire rotation and balance and new windshield wiper blades ($110)! Guess they have to make some money off me! I am still going to pursue them to pay for my rental car as I feel their part failed and left me stranded (car is under warranty). There is nothing mentioned in my receipt about their concerns over my "aftermarket" air filter! THANKS!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Unless you have rental car coverage as part of an extended service contract, your warranty does not automatically provide a rental vehicle. If you had the repair done at your selling/servicing dealership, they may have loaned you a vehicle, but don't waste a lot of time trying to get reimbursement unless you have rental coverage.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Any quality air filter will be fine. But all filters are NOT the same. Jiggly lube most likely uses the lowest cost filter. Motorcraft probably does not make their filters. Wix is a major supplier and they have a high line and a cheap line. Wix makes NAPAs filters, the Gold being the good one the Silver being the cheap. Same with oil filters. That said MAF contamination is VERY common in all vehicals, and kinda sneaks up over time.