08 FEH in an accident - Can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default 08 FEH in an accident - Can it be fixed?

Hi, Well I'm sad to report our 9 month old 08 FEH may be written off after an accident on Friday.

We were hit broadside. the worst of the damage is in the driver side read quarter panel. The rear suspension was ripped out from under the vehicle and the read wheel was turned 90 degrees and now faces backwards. Because the battery pack is back there I'm worried about unseen damage the batteries.

*If* they can fix the vehicle should I insist on them replacing the battery pack?

If they can't.. anyone know of an unsold 08/09FEH available in Ontario Canada?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 FEH in an accident - Can it be fixed?

From the damage you described I don't think I'd want them to fix it. It has nothing to do with it being a hybrid and more about it NEVER driving straight/right again.

I am sorry for your loss though... and I hope all occupants were OK. Did the side and canopy airbags deploy?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

Yes all occupants were ok. (Thanks for asking)
And yes the driver side Seat airbag and both roof mounted side impact air bags deployed. .

The more I think about it, the more I would agree with you that this vehicle would never drive the same if they did fix it.

My insurance seems willing to agree it is a write-off. They just need to send an appraiser to make it official.

Now comes the hard part of finding a replacement.
Cheers
Dean

Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM

I've been having that eerie feeling myself. What's the 'value' of my FEH to the insurance Co, since they are hard to find and retain, and even for a shot time appreciated in value! I haven't taken time to call the ins. company and ask tho. But KBB finally lists retail value at $26.xK (I paid $28.4K 18 months ago). So I feel this is where they would come in at. I even searched ebay, and found a close twin to my own, same color, only option different was no chrome pkg, and similar mileage.

{edit} You might search all ready sold on ebay to see what replacemnt value needs to be incase they try to low ball and give a ridiculious price!

So that's where I's start is ebay and see what dealers are selling online. Don't know if something like cars.com or yahoo autos can search Canada or not. Depending on the ins. company, I might insist such this is such a hard vehicle to find, if you found one far away they cover the cost of shipping it to you. I don't supose you can buy a US version?

But glad to hear everyone is OK, and the side curtains deployed, 1 of the main reasons I bought it since I have kids. Was anyone sitting in the back seat? If not, does it look like a rear passange would have been OK as well?

Is it possible to get pics? I'm always looking for pics of wrecked vehicles I own to see what real world damage happens.

Like everyone else says, it'd never track straight again. Hope the other guy has (enough) insurance!

Last edited by 08hybridok; 12-15-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Most body shops are quite good at "metal" work, but **** poor at ANY electrical restoration.

"restore" a hybrid.....

NOT, NEVER....!!

On the other hand should it be totalled I might be interested in purchasing from YOU.

I would love to find an FWD/MMH/Trbute hybrid system on the cheap to install in a CX-7.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Bryan,
Actually yes My 10 year old was in the back seat. On the passenger side. She is fine. Air bags come down to meet the bottom of the door windows.

We are lucky in that our policy covers replacement cost because the vehicle is so new. So they use AutoMall to find us a new vehicle.

I don't have pic's yet.. have not been to the impound to see it since...But I'll see what I can do...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

hey wwest...
I'm not sure what the deal will be with the "remains" ... I will have to see if the insurance co will insist on me signing it over to them or not... I've been in an accident where the car was written-off before.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

LOL.. wwest.. you just put a bee in my bonnet..... I've been complaining about my other car for sometime.. it's a 2001 Sonata.... "I wonder what it would take to fit the drive train from the FEH in the Sonata. :-) "

Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Our 1992 LS400 was totalled back a few years ago and we "bought it back" from the insurance company and had it repaired. The only detriment is it now has a "rebuilt" title.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM

My insurance company pays full replacement value of the vehicle if it's totaled within the first year, no depreciation is taken. You might ask your agent or look at your policy for a similar clause.

Quick Reply: 08 FEH in an accident - Can it be fixed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands