'09 FEH Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '09 FEH Oil Change

Originally Posted by GaryG
Mark, I'm sure I didn't overfill the oil and put in exactly 5 Qts. Some hypermilers use a little less oil than the manual states to improve mileage but I don't do that either.

There may be a slim chance Ford is using a special thin oil for break-in but I've never heard of that before.

Sean, I think that draining the Mobil 1 is my only choice to confirm my findings and possibly save some gas for me and others in the future. The cost of the Mobil 1 will for sure not be worth it to me if I'm right. I'll save the Mobil 1 in a clean container and reuse it if I'm wrong, but I will change to Motorcraft blend in the '05 if I'm right. I may dump the Mobil 1 in the '02 Explorer later because it's a gas hog anyway.

Who knows, the Mobil 1 oil may have a chemical reaction in the combustion chamber with gas and ethanol. At any rate, I'm going with the oil that gives me the best mileage. I'll pick-up the Motorcraft blend at Walmart and exchange the Mobil 1 ASAP and let everyone know what I find out.

GaryG
Could you have somehow gotten a faulty filter? Could all 5 quarts be in the pan and running the filter bypass instead of having filled it?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MMooney
Could you have somehow gotten a faulty filter? Could all 5 quarts be in the pan and running the filter bypass instead of having filled it?
The filter was the same Motorcraft filter I use on my '05 FEH you can now get at Walmart. This all puzzles me to the point I'm going to measure the old oil I still have in my drain pan and measure the Mobil 1 when I drain it tomarrow. I purchased a 5 gallon jug of Motorcraft 5-20W blend today at Walmart and I have a after market filter I can use the O-rings to check out the Motorcraft filter I installed.

If the Motorcraft blend does not improve my mileage, I will know to look at other possibilities. Others including myself are very sketical that Mobil 1 is the problem, but it's good to rule out a possibility.

GaryG

Old 03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Gary

I have a 2007 and everytime I have changed the oil (twice, once a year !) I put in oil and check the dipstick after running the engine for a few minutes, and I only put in 4 1/2 quarts. That is with a filter change.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest
Hi Gary

I have a 2007 and everytime I have changed the oil (twice, once a year !) I put in oil and check the dipstick after running the engine for a few minutes, and I only put in 4 1/2 quarts. That is with a filter change.
That's how I've always changed the oil in my '05 FEH, but the manual calls for 5 quarts in my '09 FEH.

I drain the pan today and measured 4 1/2 quarts but the oil looked a little to dark as if some of the old oil mixed with the new Mobil 1 oil. I had checked the dipstick after the first change and it seemed a little low. However, I checked the dipstick just before dumping the Mobil 1 and it was on the high side today. I think that some oil was trapped in the upper part of the engine after shutdown from being on the ramps I used. The 2.5L has a different head design with the variable intake valves and may not drain the oil on a ramp slant like my '05 FEH always has.

I added only 4 quarts of Motorcraft blend without draining the filter and checked the oil level after it sat for a while off the ramps. The oil level is now in the middle of the dipstick marks so I think changing the oil on the ramps and not on level ground may have been the problem. At any rate I'll hit the road to see if my mileage returns to normal this week.

GaryG

Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM
04 prius 350,000km

hm i guess you can't get away with using 0w-20?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Why do you say that?

Talking to Ford, they said 5w-20 is acceptible for "all seasons".
However, regarding the 2005-2008 model years specifically, 0w-20 was actually not only approved, but recommended for persons who "routinely have cold starts below 0'F."

The fact that the user's manual says 5w-20 is for "all seasons" leads some people to believe 0w-20 isn't allowed. This is a false assumption.
0w-20 is the same oil as 5w-20 at warm & hot tempertures.
The "zero" part of the number only helps on those very cold days.
It doesn't hurt anything on the hot days.
HTH,
-John

Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
hm i guess you can't get away with using 0w-20?
With my 2005 Escape Hybrid, I took 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 and one Motorcraft Oil filter and had service department of a Ford Dealership in Northern Wisconsin change the oil and filter for a small labor fee.