2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...09036-9999.pdf

5M6Z-10C659-B

google finds this among many:
https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-...10c659b?c=az0x

Would be wise to replace both.

There are youtube videos demonstrating how to replace them.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

That's awesome - thank you! Someone helpfully posted a long description of replacing these fans, but the part number they listed was obsolete, and when I searchded by name I was getting all kinds of results.

This ought to do it! Thanks VERY much for your time and expertise!

Old 01-12-2023, 04:15 PM

Old 01-13-2023, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Bonus! Thank you so much! I've got a message in to my favorite local mechanic to see if they can do this, and to get a quote for the labor bit.

Seriously - thank you SO much. I love this car and I'd like to drive it for a good while longer without having to pay through the nose to do so safely. !

Old 01-13-2023, 02:29 PM

Assuming you already have a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet (+1/4" adapter):

Amazon Amazon

DIY and save yourself some $. Zero danger of shock

Last edited by S Keith; 01-13-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

I may indeed have those sizes of ratchet - almost certain I do - but I lack confidence that I could do this without seriously horking it up. (Plus ... I'm disabled ... means I have physical limits on what I can safely do, especially on my only vehicle).

Did I just see a heat gun involved?? To peel back insulating foam from the fan connectors, which then needs to be replaced? Yikes.

That being said ... my local mechanic (who I really like) just rang back and is somewhat skeptical about "you diagnosed your car's issues based on something you read on the internet and now you want US to try to fix it for you" because I imagine they've heard that quite a bit and it generally doesn't go that well. He's going to talk to the owner about whether they'll let him order these parts/do this repair and get back to me on Tuesday.

Meanwhile .. . I guess I'm going to look and see if there is anyone local to me who's dealt with this before who might be willing to do it. If not . .. I'll be watching this video a few more dozen times and giving it a go, I guess. Wish me luck!

Old 01-13-2023, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FunChefChick
I may indeed have those sizes of ratchet - almost certain I do - but I lack confidence that I could do this without seriously horking it up. (Plus ... I'm disabled ... means I have physical limits on what I can safely do, especially on my only vehicle).

Did I just see a heat gun involved?? To peel back insulating foam from the fan connectors, which then needs to be replaced? Yikes.

That being said ... my local mechanic (who I really like) just rang back and is somewhat skeptical about "you diagnosed your car's issues based on something you read on the internet and now you want US to try to fix it for you" because I imagine they've heard that quite a bit and it generally doesn't go that well. He's going to talk to the owner about whether they'll let him order these parts/do this repair and get back to me on Tuesday.

Meanwhile .. . I guess I'm going to look and see if there is anyone local to me who's dealt with this before who might be willing to do it. If not . .. I'll be watching this video a few more dozen times and giving it a go, I guess. Wish me luck!
Eh, I did this job on my '06 Hybrid and didn't use any heat guns. I just ripped the foam off. The Ford fans come with all new foam for the connectors anyway. If you're not comfortable doing it, any mechanic worth their salt should be able to. It's a pretty simple job and should take them ~1 hour. Hopefully your mechanic will come around.

I bought my fan set from a Ford parts store out in Vegas on eBay for like ~$300. Good luck! At least it seems your battery is healthy (unlike mine).

Old 01-13-2023, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

Originally Posted by 10Terp
Eh, I did this job on my '06 Hybrid and didn't use any heat guns. I just ripped the foam off. The Ford fans come with all new foam for the connectors anyway. If you're not comfortable doing it, any mechanic worth their salt should be able to. It's a pretty simple job and should take them ~1 hour. Hopefully your mechanic will come around.

I bought my fan set from a Ford parts store out in Vegas on eBay for like ~$300. Good luck! At least it seems your battery is healthy (unlike mine).
Thanks! I am hopeful that my battery will STAY healthy. Sorry to hear that yours is not. :-( What is yours doing?

My friendly mechanic - who is the first to admit he is not experienced with HEVs - seems to think that the fan error = replace the hybrid battery entirely, because . . . I don't know why?

I'm also relieved to hear it only took you an hour - the official spec sheet says 3.1 hours!

Fingers crossed that my person will do it ... either way I'll circle back when it's done. Fingers crossed. !

Old 01-19-2023, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

Good news - I think - my friendly local mechanic has agreed to order and replace the HV cooling fans as you have directed. They seem to be skeptical that this will resolve all of the issues, but are willing to take my money regardless. :-)

Will those errors automatically clear when the fans are replaced? Or will they need to be manually reset?

I have faith that y'all know what you are talking about; hopefully all goes well with my mechanic. !

Old 01-19-2023, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by FunChefChick
Good news - I think - my friendly local mechanic has agreed to order and replace the HV cooling fans as you have directed. They seem to be skeptical that this will resolve all of the issues, but are willing to take my money regardless. :-)

Will those errors automatically clear when the fans are replaced? Or will they need to be manually reset?

I have faith that y'all know what you are talking about; hopefully all goes well with my mechanic. !
Best to clear codes.

Quick Reply: 2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands