2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 04:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH with HV battery issues? Maybe?

Originally Posted by FunChefChick
Thanks! I am hopeful that my battery will STAY healthy. Sorry to hear that yours is not. :-( What is yours doing?

My friendly mechanic - who is the first to admit he is not experienced with HEVs - seems to think that the fan error = replace the hybrid battery entirely, because . . . I don't know why?

I'm also relieved to hear it only took you an hour - the official spec sheet says 3.1 hours!

Fingers crossed that my person will do it ... either way I'll circle back when it's done. Fingers crossed. !
Initially that was remedy as Ford didn't want anyone working on the HVTBs internals. There were so many fan failures under warranty Ford subsequently decided to produce replacement fan kits rather than replace entire HVTBs, It saved them many thousands of dollars per repair. Your trusted mechanic friend may be looking at old literature or bulletins.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

My trusted mechanic apparently called Ford, gave them my VIN#, and was told that my entire HV battery must be replaced (rather than simply replacing the fans). I've tried explaining that I'm literally holding the tech service bulletin from Ford for this issue (TSB 16-0118) which says "replace both high voltage traction battery (HVTB) cooling fans. Follow the instructions sheet included with the kit." - but mechanic is wary of contradicting what Ford has told him about my car. Sigh.

I have a call in to my old Ford dealership - the service department was consistently good there before I moved towns - to see what they say.

It's super frustrating. If I were in better shape physically I'd do it myself, but I'm just not up to it.

Would anyone happen to know where to locate the instruction sheet for these fans? I've looked all over but the sheet which comes with the cooling fan kit does not appear to be online anywhere, and I'm guessing that Ford locks down that information so only actual mechanics can access it. If I'm wrong about that - can someone point me towards where to find the instruction sheet for 5M6Z-10C659-B? From this TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...09036-9999.pdf ?

Thanks everyone . .. I hope to someday soon report that I was able to get these fans replaced without spending a ton of money or hurting myself (or others). !

Old 02-09-2023, 06:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Doesn't sound worth "trusting." Sounds like he's more motivated to try and ram a $18,000 battery down your throat than read a f@ckin service bulletin.

He's going to take the word of some low-rent jacka$$ looking up DTC on a computer without doing any real research vs. a NHTSA published TSB that references specific DTC, part numbers and instructions. One can readily locate that part number and see availability with multiple online sources.

Maybe he's just a moron incapable of independent thought or rational decision making.

Either way, you need to find a new mechanic.

Have you actually watched the whole video and made a determination that you aren't capable? Is there ANYONE in your life that is comfortable changing their own oil that could help you? That's literally the extent of the skills needed.

That video is darn near real time minus the unpackaging of the new fans, and it's all of 15 minutes long.

There is ZERO risk of high voltage shock unless you submerge both you and the vehicle into salt water. Even then, the battery would just short out and freak you out.