2008 MMH Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 MMH Questions

I am considering buying a 2008 MMH, but I have a few questions I was hoping to get help with:

1. I know that the hybrid battery is located in the back of the vehicle, under the trunk. Where does the spare tire go then?

2. I have read that the MMH can run on electric alone at speeds up to 25 MPH. Does this apply only when you accelerate slowly from a stop or will the car switch to electric only mode if you slow down from a higher speed to below 25 MPH?

3. Is the new microsoft sync available on the 2008 MMH? The mercury web site seems to indicate no, but the dealer stated that it was.

4. I have noticed that the MMH NAV system says it is DVD based, whereas Honda CRV says it is satellite based. Do you have to do something with the MMH NAV system to update it periodically? Do you have to keep the DVD disk in at all times to use the system???

5. In speaking with various dealerships, I keep hearing over and over how Ford and mercury are not making enough of these cars and that deand far exceeds supply. How receptive have you found dealerships to negotiations on price?

I apologize if these are simplistic questions. Thank you for your assistance.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 MMH Questions

Originally Posted by GNiel9
I am considering buying a 2008 MMH, but I have a few questions I was hoping to get help with:

1. I know that the hybrid battery is located in the back of the vehicle, under the trunk. Where does the spare tire go then?

2. I have read that the MMH can run on electric alone at speeds up to 25 miles per hour. Does this apply only when you accelerate slowly from a stop or will the car switch to electric only mode if you slow down from a higher speed to below 25 miles per hour?

3. Is the new microsoft sync available on the 2008 MMH? The mercury web site seems to indicate no, but the dealer stated that it was.

4. I have noticed that the MMH NAV system says it is DVD based, whereas Honda CRV says it is satellite based. Do you have to do something with the MMH NAV system to update it periodically? Do you have to keep the DVD disk in at all times to use the system???

5. In speaking with various dealerships, I keep hearing over and over how Ford and mercury are not making enough of these cars and that deand far exceeds supply. How receptive have you found dealerships to negotiations on price?

1) The spare is under the car right in front of the rear bumper.
2) It can switch into EV mode and stay there at any speed below 40. My engine comes on around 20 miles per hour or sooner when accelerating. I can cost down a hill in EV mode until I pass 40 miles per hour.
3) No it is not available. Always trust official documentation more than the dealer.
4) the maps are all held on a DVD that must be in the navigation system. It uses GPS satellites for navigation and dead reckoning when buildings block satellite reception. Once a year Navteq release a new map DVD. The map DVD has it's own drive and does not take up a slot in the CD changer.
5) The best I could do was to get a dealer to sell it to me at MSRP.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

ALL Navigation systems post 1980's are Satellite based. Even the 20 year old ones.
( yes, they go back that far )
Only where you get your map "pictures" from can vary.
Unless you are talking compass and sextant days...
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 12-02-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GNiel9

2. I have read that the MMH can run on electric alone at speeds up to 25 miles per hour. Does this apply only when you accelerate slowly from a stop or will the car switch to electric only mode if you slow down from a higher speed to below 25 miles per hour?

I just purchased my 2008. Ordered in June, recieved late October.

1. Spare tire is located in front of the rear bumper.

2. My car with just 1000 miles on it, is starting to automatically go in and out of electric on its on. If I am at cruising speeds around 30, it usually drops in. In normal traffic, I am usually annoying everyone if I dont kick over to both motors around 20, but if no traffic I can easily make it to 30.

3. NO SYNC - 2009 maybe....

4. Marketing ploy on the car manufactors part, both will glady sell you update cd's or DVD's.

5. My dealer orignally sold it to me for 1% above invoice, plus several rebates, then they felt bad after the 4 month wait time and even dropped that so I didnt cancel the order. Go to blueovalforums.com, request an x-plan pin. The hybrid doesnt save enough gas to pay over invoice price for the vehcile. Remember, if you hit AMT the 3k tax credit wont work as well for you.

The hybrid is a great driving vehicle. My 1200 mile opion:

1. Interior - looks nice, but in general is just cheap plastic. leather package in the Dodge world = leather trimmed doors so fourth.

2. Runs and handles great. Very quick to heat up.

3. Cant tell when its electric and not. Make sure to buy factory navigation as it helps you understand how the vehicle is functioning.

4. The factory tires suck - trade them in immediately for a very much improved ride.

5. Navigation works very well, so does the other options.

6. Nice storage room when back seat is laid down.

7. Gas mileage without any techniques except driving sensibly already average over 30 even it the cold.

8. Plenty of power and acceleration.

Last edited by pb5927317; 11-19-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317

1. Spare tire is located in front of the rear bumper.
Which is the same place the non-hybrids have the spare.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

The hybrid battery replaces a shallow hidden storage compartment under the rear cargo floor on non-hybrids.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:13 AM
08 MMH 4WD

There are also a few cosmetic differences between the MMH & FEH. Here is a thread that gets into some of it:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-vs-mmh-15745/

Also I think that the MMH lead time seems to be quicker the the FEH from when you order. Could be that there are maybe 1/4 MMH being produced then the FEH. When I ordered mine it took 8 weeks (July - September).

So far I am getting 30 - 32.5 average per tank on my MMH AWD. Daily commute is about 22 miles each way & speeds are either highway or 45 zones for most of the trip.

So far I have been very happy with this purchase.

As far as pricing goes, it seems to be all over the place. Some dealers are charging over MSRP, some will take a X-Plan & some wont.

At the time I placed my order the dealer did allow me to use the A-Plan but they were not taking X-Plan orders. One dealer I had called that was getting some in was not accepting any plans & was charging full MSRP+.

As far as the current tax credits go, unless you find a new one on a lot this year, you may be SOL unless they allow again in 2008 (if you normally get a refund, may not be of any help anwyay)

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 03:05 PM

I got my '08 FEH for $98 over invoice and I had $1000 in other discounts. I wouldn't pay anything over MSRP and would really have to think hard about paying that.

After 5000+ miles of about 50/50 highway/city, we're getting an average of 31.9mpg.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

I paid x plan which is a tad over invoice for my FEH. Got a few accessories thrown in. First tank was 33 mpg.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by pb5927317

4. The factory tires suck - trade them in immediately for a very much improved ride.
The factory tires....assuming they are the same ones used on the 2005-2007 MMH are Continental Eco-plus tires. They are a "low rolling resistance tire" which means they are a harder rubber and offer better fuel economy. Changing your tires to any standard tire will likely result in a decrease of 1-2 MPG on your fuel economy. If you are trying to maximize fuel economy stick with the factory tires.

Quick Reply: 2008 MMH Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands