4wd feh quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast
Post 4wd feh quick question

Is there any way to tell when it's in 4wheel? I cheked the manual and found nothing. 2008 model.
Thanks in advance and happy new year

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
Default Re: 4wd feh quick question

Originally Posted by JoeF99
Is there any way to tell when it's in 4wheel? I cheked the manual and found nothing. 2008 model.
Thanks in advance and happy new year
Here is a thread just started by someone working with the SGII on that problem.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18382

GaryG

Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the SG code's the only option. If it can read it.
But I thought the newest (may all FEH's) were AWD not 4WD, meaning there is Always power going to both axels, and depending on slippage the computers determin how much goes where.
That's why I chose a FWD as I only 'need' 4WD 1-5 days a year, and even then I'm ok with out. If it was a hard switch I probably would have gone 4WD instead.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Okay thanks guys I Appreciate it. Thats really my biggest complaint with the FEH. A hard switch would be nice for our winters here in upstate ny! Oh well I guess I just have to trust the people at ford with the AWD.

Joe

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM

It is NOT full time AWD...!!

There is an electric clutch that is used to automatically engage the rear driveline if/when front wheelspin/slip is detected. Like, parallel, to the old Aerostar AWD system.

You could easily add a "hard" switch but you would have to be sure, CERTAIN sure, to have it off except in poor traction conditions.

Personally if I owned an Escape, Mariner, or Tribute I would disable a front halfshaft (REMCO.COM..??) and lock the rear electric clutch in order to have a more safe RWD vehicle and only engage, manually, the front drive in adverse, slippery, roadbed conditions.

Last edited by wwest; 12-31-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeF99
Okay thanks guys I Appreciate it. Thats really my biggest complaint with the FEH. A hard switch would be nice for our winters here in upstate ny! Oh well I guess I just have to trust the people at ford with the AWD.

Joe
In my experience, the FEH's AWD/4WD will do very well in most adverse conditions. However, you'll need different tires than the stock all-seasons (such as winter or all-terrains) if you want the best performance in the slippery stuff. The the only manufacturers of AWD systems with locking differentials are the ones usually built for more serious off-road capability (higher clearance, body on frame, miserable MPG, etc.)

Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM

First, please ignore Willard West's post on this FEH forum. He does not own a FEH or MMH. Many of his post are based upon the Toyota system and he is slapping this onto the Ford system. Note, he has a front wheel drive Prius that he has not changed and yet he is constantly warning of dangers when using FWD vehicles. Go figure.

Second, it is not true the FEH AWD system is the old Ford Aerostar AWD system. The FEH system can engage the AWD system prior to front wheel slippage. There is plenty of data on Ford Motor Company's site supporting this statement.

Third, tires do make a difference in winter conditions and this holds true for the FEH. I do not run the stock Conti Eco Plus tires in winter. That said, the weight distribution of the FEH is such that it enables good winter driving abilities for the operator of the vehicle.

Have a happy new year.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
First, please ignore Willard West's post on this FEH forum. He does not own a FEH or MMH. Many of his post are based upon the Toyota system and he is slapping this onto the Ford system. Note, he has a front wheel drive Prius that he has not changed and yet he is constantly warning of dangers when using FWD vehicles. Go figure.

The Prius does NOT get driven in/on adverse roadbed conditions. And FYI my son does own an I4 stick shift non-hybrid Escape

Second, it is not true the FEH AWD system is the old Ford Aerostar AWD system. The FEH system can engage the AWD system prior to front wheel slippage. There is plenty of data on Ford Motor Company's site supporting this statement.

The Ford Aerostar was full-time AWD 30/70 F/R normally and switched to 50/50 if wheelspin/slip was detected. After a few seconds it would switch back into the 30/70 mode and if wheelspin/slip still persisted....

The Escape is FWD with "auto-AWD". Until wheelspin/slip is detected and then the rear driveline is engaged via the electric clutch. Within 8-10 seconds it will automatically switch back to FWD. My son's Escape has a mode in which the rear driveline can be switched into engagement but the owners manual warns of servere damage to the driveline if left in this mode on a tractive surface.

I understood that Ford had too many failures due to driver abuse and so the new Escapes only have the "auto-AWD", part-time AWD capability.

Third, tires do make a difference in winter conditions and this holds true for the FEH. I do not run the stock Conti Eco Plus tires in winter. That said, the weight distribution of the FEH is such that it enables good winter driving abilities for the operator of the vehicle.

I have found that I need specialty tires rarely enough here on the Seattle eastside that I run summer use tires ONLY all year around for quietness and comfortable riding and always have tire chains at hand. My '01 AWD RX300 just spent 10 days with all four tires chains installed.

Have a happy new year.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM

My son's Escape has a mode in which the rear driveline can be switched into engagement but the owners manual warns of servere damage to the driveline if left in this mode on a tractive surface.

Willard just admitted he is basing his information on "non-current" Ford AWD systems. His son drives an older version of the Ford AWD that does not exist on the hybrid vehicles. Willard again mentions "wheelslip" and the newest Ford AWD system can engage prior to wheelslip.

Have a Good New Year

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've never seen an indicator and have just assumed it's full-time AWD. I have an 05 FEH 4WD (I also have an 09 FEH, but that's only FWD).

Just a week before xmas we got dumped with a foot of snow (although I think I only had 10" around my house) and the 05 was great. It *definitely* was using 4WD. To enter a parking lot I had to drive through a driveway apron that was mostly plowed shut by the road commission... my 05 FEH drove right through it (all wheels were throwing snow) with no problems... a minute after I pulled in, I watched an 09 Escape (not a hybrid) try to enter the same way and he got stuck (he only had FWD).

If it's not always engaged and is turning it on automatically, it does a great job because I've never noticed it only using 2 wheels even for a moment.

Quick Reply: 4wd feh quick question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands